Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby Bandsaw Question

Newby Bandsaw Question

I've been lurking for a little while and have enjoyed the forum. I also think I've learned some things from all of you along the way.

I know the prevailing wisdom is to hold off until one can afford at least a 14" bandsaw. Despite that, due to space and budgetary constraints, I am looking at two 10" benchtop bandsaws. I have done searches on both, but I haven't seen any opinions on how the two might compare.

One is the Craftsman 10" benchtop:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

The other is the Palmgren 10" benchtop:

http://www.amazon.com/Palmgren-83010.../dp/B00068U85S

I have seen some positive comments on the Craftsman, but very little on the Palmgren. Any advice?

Blog Entries
    I have a tilt head BS and thought it would be a cool feature. I have never tilted the head and find the whole frame assembly to flex way too much. Planning a replacement.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think you're right on the money for holding off to buy a 14" - buy quality, you cry once, buy cheap, and you cry every time you use it. Generally a 14" saw will last you a long time until you decide you need to resaw or whatever the need may be. I had a 10" for a while in my shop and it mostly sat idle for a year or so. I recently bought the Rikon Deluxe 14" saw and its the most used tool in my shop.
    "You don’t get harmony when everybody sings the same note." —Doug Floyd

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Adams View Post
    ...I know the prevailing wisdom is to hold off until one can afford at least a 14" bandsaw. Despite that, due to space and budgetary constraints, I am looking at two 10" benchtop bandsaws. ... Any advice?
    Trey, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but find a way to spring for the 14". I bought the Craftsman 14" and have found it to be a very good band saw, especially for someone like me who doesn't use it a whole bunch. It had some great reviews in magazines and on the forums. I also haven't gotten into resawing. If I do I will have to look into a larger model that will be dedicated for that purpose.

Craftsman 14" Band Saw:
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Actually, additional space is not a problem. If you place the 10" on top of a bench, the floor space for the bench will be at least as big as the footprint of a 14".

Certainly cost is a big factor. Last Christmas I told my relatives that I wanted Sears Gift Cards instead of the usual shirts, etc. that rarely fit and I rarely liked (didn't say it quite that way, but you get the picture). The total of the gift cards added up to more than half of the price for the Craftsman 14" saw. My wife filled in the rest. I got the saw I wanted (bought it Christmas Eve on sale just before the store closed) and didn't have to return all the clothes that I normally get from my sister-in-law.

The bottom line is that you can do far more and have more flexibility in what you do with the larger saw.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I'm pondering also...

Despite the posts to the contrary, I'm pondering the same thing you are- only I'm looking at a 10" Rikon. I know that a band saw of this size has many limitations- I have access to a large band saw at work, but I get tired of having to do all my "playing" at work! Anyone familair with the 10" Rikon?

Blog Entries
    I tried to use a 10 inch and all it did was break blades. If I still have it around here you can have it if your local.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

First of all.....WELCOME to the Creek!!!!

I highly recommend the wait for at least a 14" BS. Most accessories available to any woodworker with a 14" BS are almost unlimited. Besides, it's much easier to find a blade for a 14" BS. Also, look around for a good used BS. You'd be surprised what you can find at a deal of a price on a used machine.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I think a 10" bandsaw would be fine as long as you don't have any delusions about resawing on it or cutting anything very big or too thick. It can be used with a 1/8" or maybe even 1/16" (if you can find one?) blade as your scrolling bandsaw when you finally upgrade to a larger one.

With this approach, I would find a bandsaw with guide blocks rather than bearings so that you can embed the narrow blades in shop-made wood guide blocks.

Trey, I have a little Delta 9" bandsaw that was given to me years ago. Poor thing was very underpowered, but it *did* allow me to make my very first wood project created from "scratch" ... taking a single rough piece of wood and transforming it into something else. (In this case, making a solid wood book that opened from a spine. It was three book-matched pieces, cut from a large 4" thick slab of Flame-Cut Redwood Burl, joined together by hidden barrel hinges) The saw has been gathering dust for years up on a shelf. That said, it would work on thin stock up to 1" thick, but really bogg down on anything thicker--- just not enough power. When my daughters are old enough, it will be the first power tool with a blade they will learn to use.

The smaller Craftsman, Ryobi, Delta saws are very cheap to pick up second hand, maybe 30-50 bucks. Might be an idea to look for one and see if it would even accomplish the tasks you have in mind before laying out 100 to 150 for a new one. Then again, if you can find something like this...:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/359111729.html

... and it was in good condition, it would be a great small band saw to start off with, last longer than anything you could buy new, and you can buy a larger saw later if you feel the need.

Edit: I'd buy this one myself and restore it, but I'm too far away in gas money. :-(
    Last edited by Dave Morris; 07-01-2007 at 12:17 AM.

Rob Will Guest
    Trey, welcome to the creek!

As others have suggested, you are better off waiting to get a bigger bandsaw.

Rob

The Jet 14 is on sale on the zon... http://amazon.com/708116K-JWBS-14MW-...d_i=1000092491
    WHY IS IT SO MUCH EASIER TO START A NEW PROJECT THEN TO FINISH THE CURRENT ONE...

12. That little 10" Craftsman is (along with it's Rikon brother), the best 10" saw built today.

I won't talk you out of buying it. But be patient, it goes on sale with for as low as $120. There was even a "Craftsman Club" sale last October for $100.

As far as 10" band saws go, it is a must in my shop.

OTOH, there are other options. If you could ever find an Ol' Arn Delta 10" saw for a reasonable price, it would be a better investment. I got lucky, but not everyone does.

If it were coming down to hunger, that would be the last tool in my shop I'd sell.

BTW, I paid less than the retail of the Craftsman.

Hi Trey and welcome to SMC. While I agree that a 14" would be a more substantial machine, I fully understand space and budget constraints. That 10" Craftsman is made by Rikon and has a pretty loyal following of happy owners, but it will have capacity restrictions. If those restrictions are acceptable to you, I don't know of many better choices in that size and price range.

Consider keeping your eyes peeled for a good used machine, or you might even consider stepping up to the 12" version which will at least give you 7" resaw. Sale prices can be pretty attractive sometimes.

Good luck!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Trey

First. Welcome to Sawmill Creek, pleased to meet ya'.

There is nothing wrong with having a small benchtop portable bands, I can see that they could very convenient down the road. Of the two I would probably go with the 10" Sears model.
    Now to contradict myself. The 10" bandsaws are fairly limited in what they can do, almost to the point that a benchtop Scrollsaw may be a better option depending on the intent of use. You may want to consider a scrollsaw.

Once again though. Pleased to meet ya', and welcome.

Another vote for Rikon

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Purcell View Post
    I think you're right on the money for holding off to buy a 14" - buy quality, you cry once, buy cheap, and you cry every time you use it. Generally a 14" saw will last you a long time until you decide you need to resaw or whatever the need may be. I had a 10" for a while in my shop and it mostly sat idle for a year or so. I recently bought the Rikon Deluxe 14" saw and its the most used tool in my shop.

I also recently got the Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw. No riser kit required. The stock blade leaves something to be desired though. I replaced it yesterday with a 3/8" alternate set (ASA) Timberwolf blade from Suffolk Machinery. Cuts through mahogany, mesquite, etc. like butter............... The mesquite log was 12" long and cut upright, with the flat surface on the table. No problem. I highly recommend the Rikon Deluxe.