Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: zebra and wenge tray

zebra and wenge tray

I needed a birthday gift for a good friend. I made this tray....similar to others I have made...They are a lot of work!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

more pics.........?

hey Mark, I see you shaped the tray. what was your approach?? handheld sculpting blade??
    I would be tempted to use a dado blade and then just sculpt the curve on the sides, but that's just lazy old me.
    Sascha

Very nice, Mark. I always enjoy seeing your work.

Whats the overall size on it?

Ed

Gorgeous!! I want to see it flipped over and an explaination on the joinery, please.

The top is extruded on a router table over a bowl bit. First the critical edges, raising the bit slowly each pass.... and then move toward the center ....1/4" at a pass. The legs are then shaped at the bandsaw....paird with double stick tape and shaped with rasps and sanders...
    The top is then mortised through in the 4 points of joinery on a bench top mortiser using a square chisel bit. The locations are transfered to the top of the legs acurately. Finally the tenons are cut from loose stock sawn on the diagnol for the wedges. Four maple wedges are made for contrast. The tenons are then tapped into the mortises with the wegges started. A steel hammer of light weight is best. The wedges are tapped and the tenons in turn. The excess is sawn flush...I make a shield from veneer to protect the surface.... some sanding a little Daly's Ben Matte wet sanded with 400 wet and dry...and viola!

Quote Originally Posted by sascha gast View Post
    hey Mark, I see you shaped the tray. what was your approach?? handheld sculpting blade??
    I would be tempted to use a dado blade and then just sculpt the curve on the sides, but that's just lazy old me.

Sascha,
    Extruded on a router table with a bowl bit....see the other reply

here is the bit, mine is wider

Hi Mark, beautiful job on the tray. Really like your designs.

I take it is an item that kinda just sits on the counter to place general items in?

I guess with the distinctive/contrasting grain lines and figuring with Zebrano that routing out the center of the board is probably the best way to create the lips of the tray and keep the flow of the grain continuous.

If I were using a timber with less "noticeable" grain/figure or had a bunch of them to make, I would be slicing the lips of the full thickness of the board and then thickness down the center board in the planer. Shape the lips and then rejoin them in exactly the same position so the grain matches up. Done properly and its very hard to pick the joins.

Did you notice any cupping/movement of the timber after you removed all of the material from the inside of the tray?

You know like when you remove a lot of wood from one side which then exposes one side with a different moisture content and shrinks/expands at a different rate.

Cool

As soon as I saw the title, I knew this was one of your projects. Excellent as usual. Thanks for sharing.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Wow, that is gorgeous.

Is there any concern that expansion/contraction of the top will be restricted by the legs?

Tim,
    That is correct they do cup....it seems to add to the design showing the delicate nature of the wood. Your method would probably work well of rejoining the sides....I may try that next time

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Wow, that is gorgeous.

Is there any concern that expansion/contraction of the top will be restricted by the legs?
    Not all that much space in between...I haven't had any problems on these trays

Mark.....Beautiful work as we've come to expect from you. Thanks for explaining the tenons and wedges. I looked at those and wondered how you did it! Beautiful work! Light and airy design to my eyes.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....