Thread: LOML requests free standing kitchen cabinet

LOML requests free standing kitchen cabinet

(Word picture)

Cabinet needs to fit space 45" wide x 35" & come just short of a 7' 10" ceiling. We live & work at an apartment complex so this would go with us when we leave.

This is to be for a large micro-wave & a toaster oven so it will be a bottom cabinet deeper front to back than the top cabinet.

I suggested rail & style doors with bead board panels finished white with a natural wood face frame & rail & styles with bead board in the area between the top & bottom cabinet where the micro-wave & toaster over will set. Also a full length pull out bread-board With a open shelf just below the top cabinet for cook books. The rest of the cabinet would be finished white in color.

I am open to ideas.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch

Cabinet needs to fit space 45" wide x 35" & come just short of a 7' 10" ceiling. We live & work at an apartment complex so this would go with us when we leave.

This is to be for a large micro-wave & a toaster oven so it will be a bottom cabinet deeper front to back than the top cabinet.
    Bart,

You mention free-standing, so that makes me think sides - but I don't see sides as part of your [word picture]. Is that true? If not, how will you support the top cabinet with just a back?

Rob

Bead board is nice also T&G with each board having a chamfer would look nice. Frame and panel sides would look nice too. For a top you could use marble, granite, soapstone, tile, or even bread board. Instead of using regular white paint you might consider using milk paint, sealed with BLO and then top coat with poly (arm r seal). A properly executed milk paint finish is very tough

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Bart,

You mention free-standing, so that makes me think sides - but I don't see sides as part of your [word picture]. Is that true? If not, how will you support the top cabinet with just a back?

Rob

Yes Rob it will have sides. Sorry I forgot.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

If it's your intent to take this with you, then I'd guess the piece might need to break down into 3 basic components: bottom cabinet, top cabinet and sides.

Otherwise, how will you get the unit in and out of the apartment?

Are you planning to run all the way to the ceiling? If so, how will you stand it up when assembled?

Sounds like...

Something like an adapted hoosier cabinet. I've made a few, and they are always a hit... Here's a link to a great supplier of parts for such cabinets.

The slide out tabletop might be nice if you have limited space. The channels where you attach the cabinet top to the base and allow the work suface to slide in and out are a really good idea.

http://www.kennedyhardware.com/

Just a final thought, the hoosiers break down very simply for moving. These are from the days before built in cabinets when families took the kitchen cabinets with them. The top and base are seperate pieces.
    Last edited by Eric Apple - Central IN; 01-14-2004 at 4:43 PM.

cabinet idea

Bart, I,m going to some day make a hoosier style cabinet for my wife. I will design it to accomodate modern appliances like a flour mill and mixer and such, rather than have the flour sifter and other gadgets common to the hoosier style. The other improvement I,m considering is a granite counter top so she can roll out some good pasteries and breads for my fat a**.

Hoosier cabinet

Here's a site with some plans Bart: http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...ain/page2.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    If it's your intent to take this with you, then I'd guess the piece might need to break down into 3 basic components: bottom cabinet, top cabinet and sides.

Otherwise, how will you get the unit in and out of the apartment?

Are you planning to run all the way to the ceiling? If so, how will you stand it up when assembled?
    Rob

I think a bottom cabinet with the area between & the top cabinet as one piece & some crown molding.