Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Oneway 1236SD Lathe

Think about it. Some of us have to sit in a wheeled chair and cannot stand at a lathe. I think it is grand the Oneway is producing a lathe that a turner can Sit Down (note: the model no. is 1236SD... SD means Sit Down) Fellows have been trying for years to figure how to safely and comfotable use a lathe while sitting down. Hats off to them. Wish I could afford one.

I saw it today in Portland at AAW. Its pretty cool and meets the needs of an emerging group of turners.

Interesting Design

Hello to the group,

I have several friends that may benefit from a design like this however, until someone can actually get their hands on one and use it, the functionality and ergonomics is unknown.
    Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven Russell
    Eurowood Werks Studio
    President
    Lone Star Woodturners Association, Inc.
    The Woodlands, Texas

Take a good look at the symposium pictures(Portland) on the MyFamily website and you will see that the average age of represented turner(s) is strikingly of the senior category. Not a dig, I'm in that category myself. But it does show that the new Oneway just might be right on.

I have to admit, when I first heard of this "sit down" lathe, I was skeptical. Bu then I saw it first hand yesterday and chatted with the designer (Kevin Clay) a bit. It's a nice lathe, very well designed. It can be used both in the traditional stand-up postion as well as the sit-down position. I think they have another winner.

randy

They're addressing an untapped niche in the market. One of the lads in our woodturning club uses a wheelchair; I think he has to sit sideways to the lathe, which isn't a perfect stance. We probably don't realize it, but there are numerous folks in that situation. On some forums using nicknames, names such as "wheels", "wheelie" and such can be a clue, but most others don't make a big deal of it. Up until now, they've had to make do with various workarounds, including tilting the benchtop or lathe mounting base.

Oneway's web site has "patent pending" splashed across the pictures. I couldn't find their application or an issued patent in the USPTO database; could contain some of the design philosophy in their specification. It's my imperfect understanding that the applications aren't available in the database until a year or so after the application. Wait and see, I guess.

Joe