Thread: I finally got to use my Clark Hollowing system. Input welcome

Blog Entries

I finally got to use my Clark Hollowing system. Input welcome

Well I finally got to use the Clark. Keep in mind I've never used a hollower. My first impression was that it was difficult, then I made some changes. At first I had the shaft that holds the cutter out too far and I had some chatter. Once I made some adjustments it really got smooth to operate. Now I need a lathe that has more torque i could cut so aggressively that I could stop the lathe. I still think I can make some more adjustments and it'll get even better. I was able to get the inside so clean that it barley will need to be sanded. My only 2 complaints are that the Allan head screws that hold the Lazar to the main shaft are on the bottom of the mount and one of the mounts had different size Allan's than the other. ( believe that was not a commonality, just a fluke) other than that this, it operates like a dream. MAN DOES IT REMOVE MATERIAL. I would give an "A-"
    I would like someday to try some of the other hollowing systems on the market, just for the comparison. A tool like this can really open up many possibilities when it comes to building large pieces.
    If anyone else has one I'd like your opinion on it. Any input is always welcome too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 06-27-2007 at 7:55 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Bill,

Fed-ex has mine scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Are the instructions for set-up and use accurate? Any other tips? Will let you know after I test drive it.

That's a sweet looking system, Bill!

One thing to remember with any captive hollowing system is that you may need to readjust the height of your front tool rest as you move through the hollowing process to keep the "business end" oriented correctly for best cutting...more so on smaller objects than large. These are usually slight adjustments but something to pay attention to for best results.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bill looks like a great system. I agree with Jim on the tool rest as I found out on my monster system. Once I found out what height to have it thru Randy boy did it start cutting super nice.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    I did encounter what you are describing. I had to change the angle of my cutting bit as I got towards the big end. I was getting a slight chatter even with the steady rest. Once I changed the angle and raised the rest a very small amount it was fine. I did have to sharpen the round cutter on my wet sharpener. After I did that it was like slicing butter with a hot knife

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Andrews View Post
    Bill,

Fed-ex has mine scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Are the instructions for set-up and use accurate? Any other tips? Will let you know after I test drive it.
    Paul, let me know if yours shows up in pieces like mine did. I was suprised there was anything left in the boxes . I posted pics a while back of the dammaged boxes. It looked like they threw it off a moving train. You will probably find you'll want his extension for the main support if you turn anything tall. I really like the pistol grip too. Keep us all posted on what you think of it. Have you ever used any other type of captive system?

Blog Entries
    Well, last night I figured out that I was set up all wrong. My pistol grip and the front mount for the lazar should be behind the tool rest, not in front. Once I did that, this thing just glides over the wood. Now I'm 100% satisfied.

Bill,

I guess Fed-Ex has a thing for Clark Hollowing systems, as both my boxes were crushed and ripped open. Some of the powder coating was damaged and I am not sure if all the parts arrived. Hopefully, I will have the time tomorrow to assemble it and see if it works.

Blog Entries
    I would express my opinion of Fed-ex but it could construed as premeditation I bet it looked like it was tossed off a speeding train doesn't it?