Thread: Contact cement and veneering

Question Contact cement and veneering

Hi:

I don't do much veneer work and would like to know what is the best type of glue to use for veneering. Is contact cement , either regular or water base, ok to use for veneer work? I tried hide glue but had alot of bleed through when I glued up an 18 " square table top using curly maple. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

hi bob - i've done lots of veneering but have no real xperience with contact cement - but the word is that it's not good - never really hardens.
    i use cold press glue and have not had problems.

jerry
    jerry

Jerry's right. Contact cement is generally not the right adhesive for veneer. If you're using a backed veneer, it might be ok but will eventually fail. It should never be used for raw veneer.

I use Unibond 800 but it's expensive and if you only have a little to do, i'd try titebond extend. The general consensus seems to be that extend is ok for flat panels. I've used it and had no failures so far but I only started veneering a year or so ago.
    If you're veneering any wild grain veneer you will have bleed thru, at least at the points where the capillarys run perpindicular to the substrate (as in quilted cherry etc).
    You will probably be able to sand it off.

Thanks for the replys.

The first time I used contact cement on veneer was about 6 years ago when I tried it out on some Bubinga. After a few hours, the veneer had cracks running the full length of the veneer. I did not know if it was the veneer or the glue. I did not have a problem with the veneer cracking when I used the hide glue, just the bleed through.

Thanks,

Bob

BOb,

I use Franklin cold press glue specificlly made for veneer in my vacuum bag press with great results. Rockler sells it. Dave.