Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mall Saw Model 70 Rebuild - Help Needed

Mall Saw Model 70 Rebuild - Help Needed

Well I figured out why my Mall Saw Model 70 is so loud. It uses a worm drive to redirect the power from the motor 90 degrees to the blade and also to slow down the speed to increase torque. So the worm drive is completely dry, no oil or lube at all, so it is screaming metal on metal. I found some small metal shavings inside the case, so a complete tear down is in progress.

This thing is made beautifully, precision machined, the far end of the blade shaft is supported by a very large outboard donut bearing.
    Noted_WD.jpg

I am trying to figure out how to get that shaft out. Everything that can be undone is, and all the bolts and screws have been removed. Except for the bearing at one end and that square nut on the splined shaft on the other.
    Noted_Shaft.jpg

Anyone have any ideas?
    I will try to get more recent pics tomorrow.
    No matter where you go, there you are. B. Banzai

I just tried the Old Woodworking Machine site for info on the Mall Saw, and they have nothing.

Russ

I would not tear this saw down. Just flush out the worm drive housing with solvent (run the saw in short bursts with it filled with solvent). When you have it cleaned out as good as you can, fill 'er back up with fresh lube. There is no way you are going to find parts for this thing so if a screw breaks or a retainer or anything, you may be up a creek.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    I would not tear this saw down. Just flush out the worm drive housing with solvent (run the saw in short bursts with it filled with solvent). When you have it cleaned out as good as you can, fill 'er back up with fresh lube. There is no way you are going to find parts for this thing so if a screw breaks or a retainer or anything, you may be up a creek.
    That is a good point David, by it's not in my nature to not take things apart. I am being very gentle and careful, the only sticking point is that end with the nut on the splined shaft, once I solve that I will be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    David, what would you recommend as a solvent for this use?

WD40. Unless you want to "cheap out" and use kerosene.
    David DeCristoforo

Great thanks, any particular method or way to do this?

Give it a good spray down, run for a few seconds, drain, repeat until the draining comes out clean?

"Give it a good spray down, run for a few seconds, drain, repeat until the draining comes out clean?"

That's what I would do. But more "short bursts" than steady running especially after most of the lube has been flushed out. Then pump it full of fresh lube. And make sure it's the "right kind" of lube:
    http://www.allsparestools.com/Produc...3&Sku=SKL80111
    or something similar. Probably nothing special about the brand. It's more just getting the correct viscosity.
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks again David;

I have been working to restore the outside on the saw, Iron and aluminum castings and they are starting to look real good.

if your still doing this rebuild check out that auction site i think it has what you are looking for. dan

Shawn,

You mentioned in an earlier post that you were able to get your saws housing to look really good, can you tell me what technique you are using to clean it up? I have a Mall Saw that looks very similar to yours that I would love to get back into shape as well. Just as an FYI, on the OWWM site if you go to the link for the Powr-Kraft you can download the old wards tools sales catalog's. They have Mall Saws listed in the ones from the 1940's and 50's. They were a very expensive tool in their day. It won't give you any information on your re-build, but I thought you might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by dan grant View Post
    if your still doing this rebuild check out that auction site i think it has what you are looking for. dan
    Hey Dan;

The rebuild is going slowly. I gotta get more time in the shop.

What auction site are you referring to?

Well I just found my saw in the 1949 Powr-Craft tool catalog, and that explains why it is so amazing at cutting.

It's a 7 1/4" saw with a 1 HP motor . 4800 RPM and 15.5 lbs, with a 2 1/4" straight depth of cut and 2" depth of cut at 45 degrees..

Heck my table saw only has a 1 HP motor.

It's cleaning up nicely.

there is one on the major auction site that we not allowed to mention starts with an e this saw is like brand new with blades case etc. and after reading the last post probably power a small car with it

Quote Originally Posted by dan grant View Post
    there is one on the major auction site that we not allowed to mention starts with an e this saw is like brand new with blades case etc. and after reading the last post probably power a small car with it

We CAN mention Ebay, we just can't post direct links. We can post auction numbers, etc.

But a LOT of us (myself normally included), ACT like we can't mention it (basically in on the joke). We do need to stop doing this in all reality as we do add to the confusion.