Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Dovetail Jig?

I use the Gifkin Jig and the Incra Jig.

corey

2. jointech

Has anyone seen or heard of or use the jointech jig. Very similar to the incra set up.

Jointech

I have the jointech system and I find it very difficult to do dovetails on it. In fact I'm trying to decide on which dovetail jig to buy--Leigh or Akeda. Maybe my problem with the jointech is me and the fact that I haven't used it enough to be familiar with it but I gave up on trying to do dovetails on it. The guy demonstrating it at the woodworking show made it look easy. But its not for this old guy!

4. Thanks everyone for all your thoughts. Didn't know it would stir so many hearts and minds.

There was a set of router bits with the Leigh that was thrown out the window which were just terrible.

You'd think that it would be a DUH to have top-quality bits, carbide even?

Leigh has lots of new stuff check the website. I'm going to get the new D4 dust system and router support - looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Raymond View Post
    Thanks everyone for all your thoughts. Didn't know it would stir so many hearts and minds.

There was a set of router bits with the Leigh that was thrown out the window which were just terrible.

You'd think that it would be a DUH to have top-quality bits, carbide even?
    So the bits that Leigh sells are not any good? I was thinking about getting some, maybe even on of the sets they sell, but if they are that bad I will stick with the regulars.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Beaver View Post
    So the bits that Leigh sells are not any good? I was thinking about getting some, maybe even on of the sets they sell, but if they are that bad I will stick with the regulars.
    All of the bits I have bought from Leigh have been of high quality and carbide tipped. I use the 8mm bits.

Greg

Smile Leigh D4R

You cannot beat this Leigh jig, this jig is made of such high quality it will probably outlast me, and with the recent price drop to 399.00 the price is right. I have had mine for about 2 yrs with no problems just perfect dovtails. Then there is the "Norm factor" if its good enough for Norm A. its good enough for me.

Akeda's top notch service

As unbelievable as this sounds all of if is true. I bought the Akeda jig about a year and a half ago when Woodcraft ran their special. I immediately worked to set it up. The main reason I went with it was it's ease of use and repeatability. After a couple of unsuccessful frustrated attempts at creating some simple half blind joints I put the jig on my shelf. I decided to call Akeda for some help because I could not get the joints to fit. They kept coming out loose and I could not make any more adjustments to the router to correct it. I was using a Bosch 1617 that I had had for awhile. According to the Akeda manual I needed to lower the bit in order to snug up the fit. The problem was that I couldn't lower the bit anymore without using part of the actual bit shaft to do some of the cutting.
    I got a call from Akeda a couple of days after I left a message with them. Responding to my call was the president of the company, Kevan Lear. Kevan spent nearly 1 hour on the phone with me trying to figure out the problem. He ended up sending me 2 new bits and 2 new collars thinking that the parts that came with the jig may have been undersized or oversized. Unfortunately none of these solved my problem. I finally ended up buying a new router and ......voila! The whole time it was my Bosch router that was causing the issue.
    I now love using the Akeda jig. I am equally pleased with it because of the service that was provided by Mr. Lear. Over a series of 3-4 phone calls he spent a couple of hours on the phone with me trying to fix a problem that was eventually attributed to the router I was using. Additionally he ended up sending me well over $40 worth of accessories free of charge. Kudos to Mr. Lear and Akeda for what has been the best customer service I have ever received.

The Keller

I favour the Leigh, but there is one other jig I use for run of the mill drawers for kitchens and workshops etc.
    The Keller.

Pros.

Easy to set up and use.
    Doesn't use guide bushes, but has a special pair of bearing guided cutters

Cons.

Only cuts through dovetails
    The jig is made in three sizes to cope with varying thicknesses of timber. This makes it a somewhat expensive outlay to begin with.

If I want half-blind dovetails with this jig, I take the face off the drawer front to make a 3/16" thick 'veneer' Make the drawer with through dovetails and glue the front, over the tails, to form the 'lap'.

One could also just plant a false front on the drawers of course.

Regards
    JW (UK)
    “We need 18th-century woodworking tools and techniques about as much as we need 18th-century dentistry.” Dr. Andrew Friede
    Woodworker

I've only had the new Omni Jig for less then a week, but I can tell you with no doubt that it is as good as the D4 and much easier to use! I've owned both and the Omni will become the jig of choice very soon for new buyers that are thinking of spending that kind of money!

I got an acceptable joint out of the box the no additional set up from the factory!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by "Gary Smith" View Post
    I've only had the new Omni Jig for less then a week, but I can tell you with no doubt that it is as good as the D4 and much easier to use! I've owned both and the Omni will become the jig of choice very soon for new buyers that are thinking of spending that kind of money!

I got an acceptable joint out of the box the no additional set up from the factory!!!!!!!
    What degree are the bits that come with the unit? You say you have had the Leigh and this is better? Wow.

Steve Bolton

It seems to me that if you want just one dovetail jig that will do almost anything, it has to be a high-end Leigh or Porter-Cable. Other jigs do either just through or just half-blind dovetails.

The one I chose was the Pins and Tails jig by MLCS. It is a through dovetail jig kind of a copy of the Keller, but only $50.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Bolton View Post
    What degree are the bits that come with the unit? You say you have had the Leigh and this is better? Wow.

Steve Bolton

No I said, it is as good as..........and easier to use. However it probably is better, just didn't want to start a war over which jig is best!

Different bits are provided depending on which templet. I do beleive that on the half blind fixed it is a 7 degree.....but I'm not sure. The bits come marked......like D4 or S1 and etc.

Here are photos