Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best Dovetail Jig?

Here's some stuff I learned..

With a router table based dovetail system (Incra and Jointech), you have to plane the wood down to a specific thickness. This may or may not be a limitation.

I bought a used Woodrat a while ago. I haven't set it up yet, but you can do arbitrary thickness and spacing.. There are no templates, which is both good and bad. Another advantage of the woodrat is that it is awesome at making sliding dovetails. Also, you can climb cut (run the router the "wrong" way), since the wood is clamped down. This reduces tearout. Those latter two reasons were my main reason for buying the woodrat.
    You may want to wait for the new Router Boss as well if you are going that direction. I don't think we are allowed to post links, so just do a serach.

I have no experience on the Liegh, PC or other traditional dovetail jigs, so I really can't compare those..

The Omni Jig

Hi Gary...

I see that your jig is mounted with a wall close behind it. Are all work pieces worked vertcally in this jig please?

Regards
    John
    “We need 18th-century woodworking tools and techniques about as much as we need 18th-century dentistry.” Dr. Andrew Friede
    Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by John A Walker View Post
    Hi Gary...

I see that your jig is mounted with a wall close behind it. Are all work pieces worked vertcally in this jig please?

Regards
    John
    No they are not...........the jig is mounted of a table with castors, easy to move if you need to. When I'm doing a lot something I'll move over and use the dust collection hose from the jointer. If you look close you can see the jointer to the right of the planer.

Smile Omnijig v Leigh

Thank you Gary.
    I was surfing for details of the jig but there was nothing very useful to me. It seems there is a dearth of suppliers in the UK in any case, so I should have to buy from the USA. That can be an advantage on current exchange rates... but the sheer size of the parcel would attract attention from our Customs and 'Excuses' Department. I shall have to stay with the Leigh for the moment, although I was looking for a jig that has it's features, but which would save me space.
    (I work from a single car garage of just 144.5 square feet; not even big enough for a car! )

Thanks again Gary

Regards
    John
    “We need 18th-century woodworking tools and techniques about as much as we need 18th-century dentistry.” Dr. Andrew Friede
    Woodworker

I am happy with my PC 4212. It is quick and easy. It is not the most versatile jig, but me, a total beginner, was able to make a first drawer (half-blind, solid face, plywood sides and back, for the shop) that works and looks reasonably good (some plywood blowout - cheap, old construction ply that was free leftovers from my folks home improvement project) in about an hour. This was my very first use of the jig and my first drawer build, dovetails or no.

It would be hard to go wrong with a PC4212 to start and then a more expensive, maybe harder / longer to use jig for fancier stuff later if needed.