Thread: Baltic Birch in DFW

Baltic Birch in DFW

Hi all,

Is there anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that has found a good supplier of Baltic Birch plywood? Every place I've found that carries 5' x 5' sheets wants $20+ per sheet. I'm looking for someone offering it for $15 or less per sheet.

Thanks,
    Cary Fleming

One of our members, Michael Kowalczyk, sells 1/8" BB from Houston. I have some and it cuts very nicely.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

He Mike,
    Thanks for the plug. I have spoken with them. If anyone has been keeping an eye on Russian birch you may have noticed that that the supply has shrunk and the price has doubled. That's what happens when the tundra does not freeze . Well at least that's what my suppliers are telling me. I think it's a conspiracy to get the price up like oil. But if anyone else needs precut 3mm B/BB birch (ideal for Lazer Buzz products) go ahead and PM me.

Thanks
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Bad time for BB

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fleming View Post
    Hi all,
    Is there anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that has found a good supplier of Baltic Birch plywood? Every place I've found that carries 5' x 5' sheets wants $20+ per sheet. I'm looking for someone offering it for $15 or less per sheet.
    Just went through the search myself... GEE. I wish Baltic Birch could be found for 20.00 per sheet. That would be nice.

I finally found some at ACM: 1/2 Russian for about 34.00 sheet, 1/2 (from Finland) 4x4 for 36.00 and 8x4 Russian (with the grain going the other way) for 52.00.

That's the best I could find. ACM does not have any other sizes of Baltic Birch, but they have a lot of other interesting plywood available.

Chinese multi layered birch play is obviously cheeper.

They don't have a web site but their address is:
    Architectural Carpentry Materials, Inc.
    6025 Denton Dr
    Dallas, TX 75235
    (214) 350-1341

Hardwood Lumber Co.
    www.hlcdallas.com does have some 3/8th and 1/4 5x5 sheets, but I don't know the prices.

Fred
    (not a laser engraver, but struggling with Baltic Birch just the same)

Last edited by Fred Craven; 07-02-2007 at 5:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fleming View Post
    Is there anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that has found a good supplier of Baltic Birch plywood?
    Cary,
    Try the following; they are audio/video system manufacturers that do quite a bit of wood wholesale on the side.

BB, seems to me, is becoming like good, black, laserable marble. Is it possible that the number of laser owners have now surpassed the supply of this/these products?

Since I've only used scraps from the following supplier, I'd appreciate hearing what any of you learn from/about them:

Porter Falcon mailto:<porter@falconaudiovideo.com>
    Laser Design Studio
    Owasso, OK
    (918)272-3969
    (800)272-3969
    (918)272-3390 FAX
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech