Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Palmgren Despair

Another Palmgren Despair

I would appreciate any help. I wish my first post wasn't with this concern. My 15" Palmgren, [of which I'm on my second head] has crapped out on me. Not that this is any surprise. Don't know if its the drive belt or the reeves hardware/belt. I have no movement of the headstock spindle at low speeds and on higher speeds I can stop it by hand easily. Any help would be appreciated. Meanwhile I am getting ready to get a Nova 1624 or a Jet 1642.
    The great "value " of the palmgren has turned out to be a nightmarish move on my part. It will wind up in the corner of the shop, maybe as a buffer or a doorstop.

Knock on wood, mine is running better than the first one ever did. Just got the locking pin today (next day FedEx). You should call and ask to speak to the CEO. Let him know how badly you've been burnt on your Palmgren. See what he has to say......

UPS just delivered my 3rd headstock. I haven't even got it on the lathe yet. I just told the guy to send another one just in case this one don't work right.j/k They sent me a craftsman but will send a Palmgren as soon as they come in.She is right call the CEO, when the operator answers the phone just tell her you won't talk to anyone but the CEO. He will take care of you won't he Bonnie. I can't tell everything cause I made a promise, But Bonnie knows. And it is due here tomorrow by UPS.

The pin doesn't fit! (ain't tried this new one that came today yet) lol

Actually I just made it up the line to "Tom". I can't say I was impressed with his knowledge, but he did get me a craftsman head out right away.

Let me hear if ya really get one Bobby

the joy that is Palmgren...

if the motor is running, its the drive belt.... Not difficult to replace..just time consuming..about an hour. If the motor is not running, it could be a loose connector to the switch, a bad connection where wires are joined with a cap, the centrifical switch, or a bad capacitor. None of this is difficult to diagnose and repair. Palmgren will send the parts or you can ask for new headstock. The belts are $22, from Production Tool Supply in MI., (800-366-3600). Order a couple, they dont last long.

My understanding is that Palmgren went bust, another company took them over and bought the inventory. Looks like they tried to clear the shelves and recoup some of their investment back when the Amazon special popped up. I bet they wish they hadnt.. but they are clearing the shelves. The current group claims to be redesigning the lathe for release next year... They arent getting very good PR from this one.

Mine is not working, and Im tired of taking it apart. The palmgren was never designed to be used often or pushed hard. Light spindle work it would probably never give you a problem. Running a big gouge through 40lb chunk of hardwood puts alot of strain on that little drive belt. I intend to call Palmgren one more time and try to get my money back.. Ive invested in a Jet 1642.. woo woo..its a joy to use!!!

Good luck,
    Tom
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

Angry What is the part # for the Palmgren drive belt

I just had my drive belt crap out on me and now I need to order a new one. I read the post regarding calling Production tool supply. Just wondered if anyone has the part # to ask for when I call.

Try Sears they are the same lathe. Just have a different name on the sticker.

Contest: New uses for the Palmgren 15"

It could go under the sink, to keep the blender and the bread maker company. We could combine them all and get Superman to squeeze them so hard they become a diamond. Thanks for all the support. I can't see calling Palmgren again for a new head as it just seems destined to failure. Maybe I'll put my 30 year old rockwell back in service. As basic as it gets, but it never failed.

Those of you that are receiving their 2nd and 3rd headstock; I need some capacitors for my lathe. Anyone willing to cut them out and ship them to me? Let me know what the shipping runs to 78413.

Gilbert I would if I was keeping the old headstock but I am having to send them back to Palmgren.

The new lathe replacement that I got in February and never used until toady crapped out on me. The motor starts but trips a 20A breaker within 10 seconds. I called Amazon about getting a refund but was told that their refund period is past. The best I could get from them was a $60 credit card refund for my troubles. I guess I'll have to get Palmgren to send me a new headstock (again). Those that have gotten the Craftsman headstock, do they run more reliable?

My craftsman is running great right now. But I really haven't been using it that much since I got the jet.

They sent me a C-man headstock about 11 months ago. It has been running great every since. I haven't even changed a belt yet. I have made hollow forms, lidded boxes, and 12" to 14" bowls. I bought a Nova DVR and use the C-man mostly now for HF's. I setup my monster HF tool on it and just leave it setup. They told me to keep my old head. They didn't want it back so I piegon holed mine just for the spare parts.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega View Post
    The new lathe replacement that I got in February and never used until toady crapped out on me. The motor starts but trips a 20A breaker within 10 seconds. I called Amazon about getting a refund but was told that their refund period is past. The best I could get from them was a $60 credit card refund for my troubles. I guess I'll have to get Palmgren to send me a new headstock (again). Those that have gotten the Craftsman headstock, do they run more reliable?

Gilbert,

You probably did this already but my Palmgren was tripping the breaker and the culprit was the centrifical switch. The screw was loose and needed to be reset and tightened.

Jim

Gilbert, you should just go ahead and call Palmgren. Going through Amazon sounds like it's hit a brick wall. I found the Palmgren people as helpful as could be. Amazon.... that wasn't even an option when my problem hit.

I was also told that my problem sounded like the centrifugal switch. After I told the guy I wasn't a mechanic he said they'd send the Craftsman head.