Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inside out turning

Inside out turning

Has anyone done, or would be willing to do a tutorial on inside out turning.

I have some spalted ash 3x3 posts that I would love to make into a vase with a slender black walnut cup/ upside down finial running inside the ash for contrast. But I have no idea where to start.

I would get help locally but....The only person I know here locally that does this is a crotchety old fart who thinks I'm too young to teach.

I tried asking him some questions about other things, but I guess he feels I'm trying to get ahead of myself. If it took him 20 years to get the basics, it should me too. I want to do things to quickly for his liking. Get your basics down sonny, then in about 20 years we can talk about it.

Sorry for the rant included. I'm frustrated at having this idea in my head for the past four months and not beeing able to execute it yet. I have a vision and I want to get to it.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

About the only one I've seen is here:
    http://www.almather.com/Inside_Out/Process.htm
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

inside out turning

There is a video of inside-out turning at this site---marley turned.com T ry different variations of this address, y ou know one word, 2 words etc. hopefully helpful, Max

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey M. Taylor View Post
    There is a video of inside-out turning at this site---marley turned.com T ry different variations of this address, y ou know one word, 2 words etc. hopefully helpful, Max
    Just the one I was thinking of... here it is www.marleyturned.com/id94.asp

Good stuff!
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Inside-out lamp

Not that I am an expert, but I did this one for LOML this past Christmas.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48441

Please let me know if you have a specific question.

Tyler, try this link,, Good luck..

www.turnwood.net/projects

Ron

There was also an article in the Winter 2007 issue of Woodturning Design on turning an inside-outside angel ornament. The article is also available from the authors website: http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles.htm

Good luck, I've tried a bunch of the angel ones and lets just say they have had some issues. I keep cutting too deep on the initial turning and there is not enough material when I go to return it round....

Tyler.....indeed...checkout the link Jonathan indicated for Marley......I hope to get into a position to be able to make some of those for presents this year.

http://marleyturned.com/id126.htm
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by TYLER WOOD View Post

I would get help locally but....The only person I know here locally that does this is a crotchety old fart
    I didn't know we'd met. . I have some instructions but they're in a Word document format.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Tyler.....indeed...checkout the link Jonathan indicated for Marley......I hope to get into a position to be able to make some of those for presents this year.

http://marleyturned.com/id126.htm

I noticed he has a safety message at the beginning. Then he wears a watch and rings to turn. Not cool in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by TYLER WOOD View Post
    I would get help locally but....The only person I know here locally that does this is a crotchety old fart who thinks I'm too young to teach.
    Don't give up on 'im. Sometimes the crotchety old farts are the best ones, you just need to give 'em time to warm up to you. DAMHIKT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt View Post
    Don't give up on 'im. Sometimes the crotchety old farts are the best ones, you just need to give 'em time to warm up to you. DAMHIKT.
    Hey Mark....You tawkin' 'bout me again?!

Tyler, Mark is right about given'em time. Took me almost 2 years to get a crotchety feller warmed up enough to me to where he'd treat me half way decent at work. He wound up being a wealth of knowledge for me at my day job. So don't give up hope.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Bad thing is looking at the fella, I don't know if he's got two years left for me to wait on.

Oh well, that's why I'm here learning from you guys. It's just easier for me to learn by watching.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Inside out

Here are some photos of a bowl base. It souded like a helicopter when it was spinning inside out.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...7&d=1161877543
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim King; 07-03-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Jim,

That is very similar in the base to what I am wanting. Was it hard to get the interior post in there? This is the only area I am really questioning the validity of my design.