Thread: Nail Gun Choice

Nail Gun Choice

Greeting Everyone,

Perhaps you folks can help me make a decision on which nail gun to purchase.

I already have a 16 gauge, 18 gauge and a 23 gauge pin nailer ... all Porter Cable. All the guns I have shoot finish nails basically without heads and little holding power. My project that has started this quest will be a wrap around set of 3 steps for our new 8' X 8' spa. I intent to use treated lumber for the frame work and to cover it with Cedar.

The new nail gun will be used on the treated lumber frame for the steps and I'll glue and screw the Cedar. Probably be adding on to the existing deck at our home someday so the gun will also be in line for that project.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Tim

Senco

Get a Senco. If you can manage it, get an older Senco. They're practically indestructible and they are almost infinitely rebuildable.

Happy nailing!

John D. Thompson

Thanks for the advice John!

Cordless drill

If you have such a small job why not just use screws and a cordless drill. The big drawback of a full size round head nailer is buying the nails. I have boxes of 5000 nails in a few sizes lying around.

Nails

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nardi View Post
    If you have such a small job why not just use screws and a cordless drill. The big drawback of a full size round head nailer is buying the nails. I have boxes of 5000 nails in a few sizes lying around.
    Check amazon. for collated nails. They have2 3/8" , 3" and 3 1/2" in 500 count boxes. Now 500 count boxes are 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of 5000 count boxes so the 500 count boxes don't make sense from a price standpoint but may make sense from a storage standpoint.

HTH

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nardi View Post
    If you have such a small job why not just use screws and a cordless drill.
    I agree

It's a no brainer

If you have more projects than your deck that will require a framing nailer then the investment might be worth it. Otherwise you could always use a hammer.

If you are intent upon purchasing one I would suggest a Paslode.

Clayton

Milwaukee. I bought a Paslode and took that beast back after 1 day.

Can't go wrong with a PC

Over the last few weeks I've put about 10,000 16D, 12D and 10D nail through a Porter Cable FR350A. Haven't had a single jam.

Hello Tim,

I recently had a need for a framing nailer. I bought one from Harbor Freight last spring in anticiaption of the upcoming project due to a lot of positive reports I'd read here.
    it turned into a major disappointment - but - to be fair - I picked up the fixed 28 degree one, not the 6 in 1 model. Maybe the 6 in 1 is better.

My "plan "B" " was the Bostich that Lowes had on special for $248.00 including a free palm nailer in the event the HF one didn't pan out.
    ~ 12 nails into things, and 2 jams w/the HF gun, I ran to Lowes and picked up the Bostich.

After doing a ton of reading/research last Winter on framing nailers, I'd pretty much settled on the Porter Cable 350.
    Since there wasn't any current special on the PC, and I'd already bought a box of 28 degree nails for the HF gun, I went with the Bostich.

Two things maked me kind of glad I did:
    #1 - The frame is magnesium.
    #2 - The "freebie" palm nailer.

The palm nailer is incredibly handy. Moreso that I ever thought it would be. If you can't justify the money for a framing nailer, I'd recommend taking a look at a palm nailer.
    It's a lot less work than a hammer & faster than a cordless and screws.

Go Paslode

Tim,
    I have both the pneumatic and cordless Paslode framers and I love them. I have shot about 5 boxes of nails between them. They both take the same nails so it makes it easy for me. I have never had a jam with them. The cordless one is extremely handy, I did my first deck with it and it was great. the cordless does not have a bump fire mode, but I'm not framing houses and it's still faster and easier than swinging a hammer. I could go on and on, but if you want more info send me a message.

Drew

Lots of great advice here, thanks to everyone for your input.

Since I already have several Porter Cable finish nailers I will more than likely go that route when I purchase the framing gun.

Thanks again folks!

Tim

We've been using a Porter Cable FR350 around the house since Sept. of 2000 and it's been a great nailer. For our needs around here I'd buy the same gun again without hesitation.
    Don