Thread: NYW - videos?

NYW - videos?

This might be a dumb question - are the videos that come with the New Yankee plans for different projects the same videos shown on the show? I'm thinking of tackling the workshop bench shown recently (again) on DIY, but wondered if the video gave any additional information besides the show I've already recorded.

thanks!
    Chris

Yes, the videos available from NYW are the exact show as originally shown on PBS...in other words, there is nothing cut out like there is on the rebroadcasts on commercial stations, such as DIY, etc.

There is no additional information on the videos that I've purchased in the past.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Chris....I've bought two of the NYW videos and they are the same as the programs you see on PBS.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yes, the videos available from NYW are the exact show as originally shown on PBS...in other words, there is nothing cut out like there is on the rebroadcasts on commercial stations, such as DIY, etc.

There is no additional information on the videos that I've purchased in the past.

Jim, let me bring up a point. (I don't have DIY or fancy cable/satelite, so I am relying on posts I've read).
    SOME of the episodes, have segments cut out on DIY for time, compared to PBS (was told it was around 4:23 shorter for commercials), so the videos might be different VERY slightly from the channel he watched it on.

Not enough to make a difference really but I thought someone should mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    Jim, let me bring up a point. (I don't have DIY or fancy cable/satelite, so I am relying on posts I've read).
    SOME of the episodes, have segments cut out on DIY for time, compared to PBS (was told it was around 4:23 shorter for commercials), so the videos might be different VERY slightly from the channel he watched it on.

Not enough to make a difference really but I thought someone should mention it.

Randall, that is quite a valid point. Last night I was watching Norm on DIY and following a commercial, they continued with Norm but the minute they deleted was important to the how-to. SO I think they try as best they can, but sometimes miss. Fact is, it is hard to do a complete progression on some of the projects.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Surprisingly there is no additional info or insight shared with the purchased videos. I bought one and was at least hoping for some Norm stand-up, maybe he could develope an act as Norm the Porter-Cable Guy. Anyway, I thought they would show some machine set-up hints or project layout techiques, but nothing more than what is on the PBS broadcast.

FYI, the DIY network web page has some short video clips from NYW which are pretty interesting. Basically, someone at DIY took the time to find and upload segments which were informative for overall woodworking and not just the particular project. For example, there's a clip about squaring up stock with a jointer, planer and table saw.

The information Norm provides in these clips is basic and would be nothing new to the veteran woodworkers here. However, as a newbie, I learned a few things.