Thread: HELP--can't post pictures

HELP--can't post pictures

I am having difficulty attaching picture files. First, whenever I click on MANAGE ATTACHMENTS I'm asked to log in again. Is this normal? I can then go to BROWSE, find my jpeg, but when I click ADD THIS FILE then I'm again asked to log in and the process repeats without the file being added. I have resized to lass than 100K so there must be another problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

Mark --

If you find a solution to this bug, please post it. I've got the same problem, and have never been able to fix it.

Jamie Buxton

Mark,

This is not normal--and most definitely some configuration in your browser. I would suggest checking to see if you have cookies enabled (which I assume you do), and other security zone settings.

You can likely resolve the issue by upgrading your browser at windowsupdate.microsoft.com--it seems there are so many inconsistencies in Internet Explorer between releases. I believe the latest version would alleviate your problem.

_Aaron_

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    Mark,

[snip]

You can likely resolve the issue by upgrading your browser at windowsupdate.microsoft.com--it seems there are so many inconsistencies in Internet Explorer between releases. I believe the latest version would alleviate your problem.

_Aaron_
    Aaron --
    I can't speak for Mark, but I do have cookies enabled, and other sites regularly place cookies on my machine. I'm running a recent version of IE: 6.0.28. I'm on Windows XP Home. I regularly do the Update query to Microsoft and load any IE patches and updates they recommend; the last time I checked was in December.
    Jamie

Jamie,

Since you have been a user for quite some time you may acutally have some old cookies on your browser from the original version of vBul. that they used. Take a look at this post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=cookies

and this post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=cookies

I have found them under several things, but I would suggest deleting anything that has to do with sawmillcreek.org or www.sawmillcreek.org and trying again.

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Noah --
    Thanks for the helpful hints. However, my bug seems very strong. I've done this once before, but I just did it again: delete any file with "sawmillcreek" or "woodenthreads" in the name. I logged back in to SMC send this replay, but when I go to the Attachment Manager window, it still thinks I'm not logged in. ARGH!

Aaron and Noah,
    Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, still no success. Everything is updated from microsoft, and I deleted all the old cookies. I am still asked to log in again in the pop-up box, and files won't attach. Aaron, I also tried to pm you, and it would not allow me to do that either. Any other ideas?
    Thanks, Mark

Perhaps changing the security setting in your browser (temporarily) to 'low' or 'none' will reconcile the issue.

Aaron,
    If they went in through Mozilla would that possibly solve the problem? I have recently added this browser (it is free) and it is delightful. Loads quickly, all pix show fine, etc.
    Just a thought. It was recommended by my elder son, who is a free software guru, and runs Linux only. Devian I think.

Alan,

Yes, loading Mozilla would solve the issue, at least while using Mozilla.. I'm positive the issue is with Internet Explorer-- maybe an IE reinstall is in order.

Or, if you're not stuck on using IE, the other browsers have really come a long way- particularly Opera and Mozilla.

_Aaron_

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    Alan,

Yes, loading Mozilla would solve the issue, at least while using Mozilla.. I'm positive the issue is with Internet Explorer-- maybe an IE reinstall is in order.

Or, if you're not stuck on using IE, the other browsers have realliy come a long way- particularly Opera and Mozilla.

_Aaron_

Aaron, if you can tell me how to reinstall IE, I'll give a try. I'm running IE6 on XP Home, and when I try to uninstall IE, XP tells me that I can't do that. I've read someplace that Microsoft made XP this way because they were writing it during the antitrust trial, where they were swearing up and down that it was impossible.

Reinstalling Internet Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    Aaron, if you can tell me how to reinstall IE, I'll give a try. I'm running IE6 on XP Home, and when I try to uninstall IE, XP tells me that I can't do that. I've read someplace that Microsoft made XP this way because they were writing it during the antitrust trial, where they were swearing up and down that it was impossible.
    Here is the Microsoft Knowledge Base article on how to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378

It's not for beginners, but it basically goes like this:

Step 1: Scan for repairs for windows XP (Start->Run-> sfc /scannow, click okay)
    If this resolves the issue, then good. But it probably won't, because I don't think your XP/IE combo is actually broken. (missing files, registry entries, etc)

Step 2: Edit the registry to allow IE 6 to be reinstalled.
    - Start > Run, then type regedit, click okay.
    - Find the following registry entry in the window on the left:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

Double click on the entry in the right-hand window and change the value from 1 to 0.

This will fool XP into allowing you to make a reinstall of Internet Explorer. Go to Microsoft's website to do so. Make sure you run your Windows Updates afterward! http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

NOTE: Please be careful if you decide to edit the registry!!

_Aaron_

No Joy with pics either

I'm running Opera 7.21 and have the same problem with the pics. I'm going to try to do it from IE and see if I still have the problem. If I do, I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith