Thread: Help Needed on Small Display Case

Question Help Needed on Small Display Case

Please excuse the simple nature of my question. I am significantly less experienced than the majority of members, but I’m here to learn. I am working to finish a hanging display case for my father, and I need some advice on the best method to attach the back.

The case is extremely simple, it’s 18” wide, 24” long, and 4” deep (not including the door), and it’s made of walnut. It was my first attempt at dovetails, and I was very pleased with the result. In my original design, I planned on cutting a groove on the table saw, the full length of each piece of the case. Then I was going to assemble it with the back riding in the groove to allow for wood movement. However, since I used dovetails to join the case, I didn’t want the groove to show at the corners. Therefore, I glued and assembled the case without the back. My thought was to route a rabbet on the inside of the case, and let the back rest on the edge of the rabbet. Is this the best method of attaching the back at this point? Also, how should I hold the back in? I really want this to look as nice as possible. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Eric

Eric, rabbeting the back will be fine. Square up the corners with a sharp chisel. You can use small nails, screws, or staples to hold the back on. For a real nice look, I would use small nails, hand hammered and evenly spaced. You could use copper nails too if you want to draw attention to them. Get a piece of walnut ply that is pretty on the back side and apply a finish to it too.

That should be good enough for most piece you would make. With plywood, you really don't have to concern yourself with wood movement, especially on a case that small, so you can glue it in too if you want the extra, long-term support for weighted items in the small case.

Don't forget the pictures!!

I have gotten into the habit of cutting the dado in the back of the cabinet and then rounding the corners of the plywood back. It even looks nicer. Okay, I'm not very good with a chisel, I confess!
    Lynn J. Sonier

Thanks for the help. I will include pics when its complete, I just wish I knew when that would be. This was supposed to be a Christmas present, so I'm already a month behind.

Eric

Don't feel bad Eric. In 1998, I promised small display cabinets for 9 relatives. I even showed them the style, let them pick the finish and right or left handed hinging.

They'll still in the attic, gathering dust, each one about 75% complete. Ugg.

One lesson I learned from the process. I thought I was being smart when making them by using up all my (decent looking) scrap. Therefore, each case ended up with it's own look and dimensions (but still pretty close). Good for efficient use of materials. Bad for production. Every time I made a piece, I had to reset machinery for custom cuts for each one. Duh. What was I thinking?!

If nothing else, it will be a lesson in proportions for me, as when I eventually do finish them, I'll set them all side-by-side and determine which size I like (height/width/depth) and make a note in my log book (that I need to start!!!!!!)