Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Grizzly Bandsaw Table Trunions

Opinions on Grizzly Bandsaw Table Trunions

If anybody has a Grizzly G0513, G0513x, or G0514x what is your opinion of the table trunions? Are they strong enough for resawing 100-150 lb logs? Any information along those lines would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to decide if I really need to spend twice the money for a Mini Max MM16. Thanks.

Terry

Hi Terry,
    I've had a 514x for several months. The trunions are the (maybe only - IMHO) weak point of these saws, considering the price. I was dissapointed to see the skimpy steel used on the trunions when there's an abundance of heavy gauge steel and iron on the rest of the saw. The heaviest material I have run through are 6-8 foot long 8" x 8" pine beams from a local barn that collapsed. I would guess their approximate weight at 75-100lbs? I was careful when placing the beams on the table before resawing and had no trouble. Though I don't like the "look" of the trunions, they seem to hold up under normal (ab)use and I can still highly recommend this saw. For the record, I cannot compare mine directly to the MM16 - because I have never seen a Mini Max in person.
    Ryan

I've got a G0513 and, while I've done some resawing of logs (maybe 75 lbs max) on it, I don't know if I would try to try something that big with just the saw's table.

The next time, I will probably build infeed and outfeed tables to (1) distribute the weight out more and (2) provide a much larger base to support the log on. Properly aligned, the saw wouldn't be carrying all that much weight and it would be a world easier to control the log over its entire length.

Hope it helps.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig McDaniel View Post
    The next time, I will probably build infeed and outfeed tables to (1) distribute the weight out more and (2) provide a much larger base to support the log on. Properly aligned, the saw wouldn't be carrying all that much weight and it would be a world easier to control the log over its entire length.
    Just to clarify, the infeed and outfeed tables would need their own legs to actually take load off of the trunions.

Terry,

Earlier this year I was about to get one of these saws. The trunion material, along with the lack of a foot brake and non-local availability, were my only negatives relative to the Steel City offerings. As I recall, there were coments similar to Ryan's about how, in practice, they seem to do their job well. (I also found a "how to" post on a different forum about adding you own foot brake.)

BTW, I didn't pull the trigger due to my wife's car breaking down.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Thanks for the info

Thanks, this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I'm not going to be sawing logs as a steady diet, but I just wondered if those trunions were actually stronger than they look. It's a real shame they don't beef those up a little bit because they would then have a great looking product. I looked at the Steel City but I didn't like those trunions either since they look like the aluminum ones with the two small locking knobs like my little 14" saw. The Steel City also had a smaller motor and cost more.

Terry

6. Quote Originally Posted by Terry Stellman View Post
    If anybody has a Grizzly G0513, G0513x, or G0514x what is your opinion of the table trunions? Are they strong enough for resawing 100-150 lb logs? Any information along those lines would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to decide if I really need to spend twice the money for a Mini Max MM16. Thanks.

Terry
    Cast iron trunnions and more coming soon - details in two weeks, or come and see us at the AWFS show in Vegas this month! Lots of new stuff. Will disclose all as soon as the show starts.

I guess I'll have to wait before I make a purchase. I sure hope the resaw height is increased also.

Terry

Happy to hear cast iron trunnions are on the way because I am going to buy a larger bandsaw and was almost settled on the g0514x but had same concerns as others.

514x band saw

I am also waiting to order

I'm somewhat interested in the "and more coming soon". What constitutes more? Would a brake be in the offering?
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

11. Everyone will need to wait till next week when we show several new machines including bandsaws at the Vegas AWFS show. For those that cannot make the show, please check our website after the show opens and we will try to get all the new offerings and specs for same on there.

Thank you for your continued interest, and it will be worth the wait!

Thank you Shiraz! I'll wait but I may have to start the rocking horse for my granddaughters' birthday without ya.

Will be checking the website after the show. Crossing my fingers for introductory pricing . Heh.

Shiraz, isn't there a bit of a conundrum around announcing products in Vegas and the ever popular theme, "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"??????????
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Shiraz, isn't there a bit of a conundrum around announcing products in Vegas and the ever popular theme, "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"??????????
    Does that mean I get to go to Vegas to buy it???? OH Boy, OH Boy