Thread: What hinge to use question

What hinge to use question

I have a dilemma, See these three pics.The blue cardboard is the leg that will be 3/4 thick which makes it flush with the draws and eventual doors.
    What I didnt think about was how exactly doors were going to mount. I have a regular old hinge but that wont work since the door face overlaps the frame on all 4 sides.
    In this pic the cardboard is moved over to the right and not flush againts draw sides which is what I wanted originally.I have about 1.25 inches on the right of draws with the cardboard moved over.I looked at my kitchen cabinets and theres a hinge that goes over edge and front face and to outside edge where theres pin.It sitcks out 1.25 inches from inside edge.

Should I try a euro hinge for this? If so how far out will the euro hinge make the door stick out further than flush? If anyone has advice on a hinge that will work could they give suggestions of a particular brand name? I need to be able to get it at rockler or woodcraft in person, soon.

Thank you Maple dresser hinge 001.jpg

Maple dresser hinge 002.jpg

Maple dresser hinge 003.jpg

So what you're really wanting to do is put the curved leg to left of where it is shown in the pics, so that it is right up against the drawers, right? If that is right....

* The hinge side of the door is going to be curved. That's trouble. A line through the pins on a door should form a vertical line. If they don't, the door will try to fall open or slam shut -- bad behavior for a door.

* Could you put the hinges on the other side of the door? That edge is vertical, so the door can work correctly.

Cup hinges, because they are not seen when the door is closed, would go very nicely with the style you're developing. You can use cup hinges in a full-overlay situation. However, as far as I know, the max overlay you can get is 1/2". Your stile looks wider than that. To fix this, you could narrow the stile. The doors will be covering it, and nobody will be the wiser. For cup hinges, I like the Blum Clip-top in the 120 degree flavor. I get them from www.wwhardware.com. Look them up there, and click on pages called "Applications" or the like for installation details. Woodcraft and Rockler sell Blum hinges, but they don't tell you which ones they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    So what you're really wanting to do is put the curved leg to left of where it is shown in the pics, so that it is right up against the drawers, right? If that is right....

* The hinge side of the door is going to be curved. That's trouble. A line through the pins on a door should form a vertical line. If they don't, the door will try to fall open or slam shut -- bad behavior for a door.

* Could you put the hinges on the other side of the door? That edge is vertical, so the door can work correctly.

Cup hinges, because they are not seen when the door is closed, would go very nicely with the style you're developing. You can use cup hinges in a full-overlay situation. However, as far as I know, the max overlay you can get is 1/2". Your stile looks wider than that. To fix this, you could narrow the stile. The doors will be covering it, and nobody will be the wiser. For cup hinges, I like the Blum Clip-top in the 120 degree flavor. I get them from www.wwhardware.com. Look them up there, and click on pages called "Applications" or the like for installation details. Woodcraft and Rockler sell Blum hinges, but they don't tell you which ones they are.
    Yes leg against draw sides an door.Door will not curve though.I can put hinges above where curve starts.If theres a small gap fine but anything over 1.25 inches is just too much leg hanging over for support.The stile is 3 inch on the sides.That leg is 2.5 inches I believe in the cardboard.

What about euro hinge, will this work in this application?

Yes, a euro style hinge would work fine. Look for a full overlay style. Some will mount to the inside of the cabinet box and some will mount to the face frame, choose which ever works for your application. I'd suggest a 95 deg hinge so it won't hit the leg.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Craig D Peltier View Post
    ....Door will not curve though.I can put hinges above where curve starts...
    What about euro hinge, will this work in this application?
    If the door edge curves outward below the hinges, you may get into trouble with cup hinges. A cup hinge swings the door out in front of the cabinetry beside it. That is, it sorta pivots around a line just in front of the door edge. The curved-out part of the door at the bottom is going to swing around that pivot line and collide with the cabinetry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    If the door edge curves outward below the hinges, you may get into trouble with cup hinges. A cup hinge swings the door out in front of the cabinetry beside it. That is, it sorta pivots around a line just in front of the door edge. The curved-out part of the door at the bottom is going to swing around that pivot line and collide with the cabinetry.
    Legs curve.Not the door.

Looks like you need a euro face frame mount hinge.

Overlay amount depends on how much your drawers overlay.
    How much overlay do your drawers have? 1/2" or so?

Keep the drawer and door overlay consistent.

If you have 1/2" overlay, here is a Salice face frame mount #.
    UBCSP3799 [1/2" overlay hinge]

Available here. http://www.baerco.com/accommodations/main.jsp

Or just do a goggle search on the hinge #.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Looks like you need a euro face frame mount hinge.

Overlay amount depends on how much your drawers overlay.
    How much overlay do your drawers have? 1/2" or so?

Keep the drawer and door overlay consistent.

If you have 1/2" overlay, here is a Salice face frame mount #.
    UBCSP3799 [1/2" overlay hinge]

Available here. http://www.baerco.com/accommodations/main.jsp

Or just do a goggle search on the hinge #.
    Yes thanks, 1/2 inch.Im off to rockler right now.