Thread: Robust lathes

Robust lathes

I am currently researching lathes. I would like to find a high quality lathe capable of turning Newel Posts (48" +) and getting started on bowls for hobby purposes. I will also be purchasing a duplicator for custom stair parts. From my searching, the Robust lathe seems to be unmatched yet pricey as can be. Any suggestions?

Craig......Two weeks ago I turned on Creeker Chris Hartley's Robust American Beauty.............It's one solid machine!....Pricey but solid. Depending on the weight of the newel posts you want to turn there are several lathes that can extend the bed to meet your requirements IIRC.

Powermatic offers an 18" bed extension for the PM3520B which should give a 52" distance between centers.

The PM4224 will go 65" between centers IIRC.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-07-2007 at 1:17 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Craig, IMBO if you have the dollars the Robust is the best machine out there for the type of work you mention. The really cool thing is that it can be extended to accommodate any length of post you can think of. One of the greatest features is the 7 year warranty, and Brent English really backs up his product. If you haven't already done so call Brent and talk to him. It will be well worth the time and effort. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. If you are ever in Houston come take a ride.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

I've logged perhaps 100 hours shopping online. That's how I came across this site by doing a google search. The Robust definately looks like a keeper, but way out of my range at this time. I am bidding on 17 newels for a helical stairway that I am currently working on for the kid I am working for. The are also a total of 390, 1" balusters that are needed. All Hard Maple, and the wood must be as clear as possible. So you can see why a duplicator is in order. I have quoted $215 for each newel and offered to match $5 per baluster that he has from another BIG stair parts outfit. I am saving him $85 per newel. I supply the wood. I told the boss that I could have the newels within 5 days of receiving the lathe and duplicator. With this said, I have been looking at the Jet 42" 2hp, with a 20" extension for $1750.00. I had located a 96" Vega duplicator for under $500 but did not bookmark the site and can't find it again. I will also need a steady rest should I do the balusters.
    Each Newel is basically going to be 6" in diameter, with a simple design near the top. The balusters will be 1" diameter dowels with no design.
    The Vega 53" look ok, but is $100 more and the Jet come with free freight business to business, dock to dock. I figure that the Vega is the last of the under 2k lathes. From there, Powermatic starts the bigger bucks and if I am going to go the distance in that range, I may as well go Robust. But, for this particular job, I can have the Jet completely paid off with about $500 profit after everthing is said and done.
    Thanks for your suggestions!

Craig, the Jet is a good lathe and from the sounds of it you will be doing fine with that choice. I had the Jet 1442 prior to the Robust and loved it. Good luck on your new endevor.
    Try these links: http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...=lathes-dup-vp

http://www.cuttingedgetools.com/Onli...og/steady.html
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Hi Craig,

While I'm not a professional turner, I have turned some "production runs" of spindle pieces and can tell you that you will spend as much time refining and setting up a Vega as you would turning the pieces freehand. Best of luck with your project.

I checked out the Robust lathe up in Portland, and it is now my dream machine. The sliding headstock makes it better than a Oneway. For turning ballusters, newel posts, and other spindles, it is a bit more than you need. It has the hp (2 or 3), but too big of a throw (25 inch diameter) if you are just going to use it for spindles. You could turn your spinles fine with a 1 hp lathe. I guess it depends on what you will use the lathe for after your project is complete.
    robo hippy

Craig
    I had a chance to play with the Robust at the AAW Symposium last weekend.. It's number one on my dream list now. Amazing and impressive. I talked (a lot) with the crew there, and they can do a number of worthwhile modifications for ordering one. Like a hollow tail-stock (I do lamps every so often).
    I doubt they have any stock in though, not the week after the meeting. One (of the two) at the show was pre-sold.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Thanks for the input Guys! I am going to start cheap, and start a piggy bank to buy the Robust with profits. I am interested in turning all things. The bowls are way cool. I can't wait to get started, it should be fun.

Oh, I just landed the job for doing the newels.
    Last edited by Craig Carpenter; 07-07-2007 at 12:45 PM.

A Nova 1624 with 2 extensions will give you 65 inches between centers with 16 inch swing for 1400.00.

For your newels, consider old iron since you don't need big swing nor VS...and pick up something else to get your hobby turning started. Or a mass produced machine such as the PM with bed extensions for both.

Going right into a custom machine like the Robust, OneWay, etc., is a pretty big nut for most folks!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Oneway 2436 or 1640 with bed extensions, or a Vicmark VL300 with bed extension if 50" BC isn't enough for you (cabinet as supplied from Australia, not the craft supplies version) will give you the capacity you need.