Thread: Spalted wood

Spalted wood

Hi:

Does anyone know of a place that sells spalted wood. I want it for small boxes.

Thanks

Steve Bolton
    stevenbolton.net

A good online way to check is with woodfinders.com . You can specify close to home or ones that will ship.

Spalted wood

Steve:

I was in Louisville for a trade show a few days ago and met a man from NV that sells beautiful spalted wood.

His name is Paul Mueller paulmueller@msn.com
    150 Horseshoe Bend Road
    Gardnerville, NV 89410

Tel 775-265-5110

Wherever you get it I would at least see a picture of it first and get it from a reputable supplier. I don't like getting any wood I can't see firsthand, although I realize that's not possible in many cases. I've only done it a couple times with oak when I ordered several hundred feet and what I got was OK but don't know as I would have taken it if I could have seen it first and said yes or no.

Like all woods, there's good spalted and then stuff you wouldn't want. Also since spalt is by definition the first stages of rot it would be easy to get some that's so far gone it would be unusable.

The only spalted I've seen is on eBay where you have a picture to go by and feedback for reputation, although you might get stuck with buying a board at a time and having shipping to contend with.

Steve, I don't know where you live, but Hogan Hardwoods sells it. We have one of their stores nearby in Austin.

Also don't know about your location, but here in Houston, some wood turners told me they take green wood, put it in a sealed trash bag, leave it in the sun for a couple of weeks, and it's spalted. I've never tried it, but it may be worth a test. It may also be a mess.

My local hardwood dealer has spalted Maple, Ash, and one other I dont remember for $6 bf. Keim Lumber in Charm, Ohio. I bought some maple and it was 5/4 thick. Beautiful wood, just havent had time to do much with it.