Thread: Any turners in the Houston area?

Any turners in the Houston area?

I'll be in Houston for a few weeks (07/09-07/20). I've already contacted Christopher Hartley about a shop tour and a test drive of "beauty". Are there any other turners in the area? I'll bring a selection of woods for swaps if others are interested.

FYI-I probably won't be available during the weekend. I will have opportunites to visit at all times of day.

Thanks,
    Dick

Yeap,
    Lots of us here.
    Do I hear a Beauty test coming? Or maybe some mustard?
    Got some nice pecan and bit of mesquite that we could play with.
    Chris, what you up to?
    Rich S.
    Last edited by Rich Souchek; 07-07-2007 at 8:36 PM.

Hey Dick,

Yep, there's one guy I know, Dave Bacque, nicest guy, Rich might know him. He's right around the Houston area. Into turning, kites, model rockets, and recently RC aircraft. I can give him a heads up via email if you'd like. Take care, Jude

Hi Dick,

If you'll PM me I'll give you a contact number. Since I'm retired getting together during the day won't be a problem. I turn on a PM 3520a and have some pecan, china berry, and a few other things around.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

I'm in the Houston area. I'm not nearly as ancient as Cecil, and still have to work. Be nice to meet you, but am rarely off work early enough to do anything other than eat and go to sleep.

That sounds good guys. I'll send you a PM once I get into town and get settled (probably Tues). If you want to send me a PM in the mean time with your contact info along with what time to call (so you don't get into trouble at work), that'd be great. It sounds like I better bring some more wood!!!!!

Hope to meet you soon,
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    ... It sounds like I better bring some more wood!!!!!...
    Being from Ohio, what species of wood you thinking about bringing and what do you have in mind to turn? Assume you're driving down?
    Rich S.

We got into Houston this morning. I brought some beautiful eastern red cedar, ambro maple, "swiss cheese" maple, and flaming box elder with me. Some of the chunks are big and some are small. I wanted to keep the weight down so the car didn't gobble too much gas on the way.

I'm not really worried about turning anything in particular. I didn't bring any turning tools. I'd rather just meet people and share some good conversation. If I get a few minutes to try your lathe, that'd be great! If not, it's no big deal. If we get a chance to do a wood swap, that'd be good. If not, maybe we can do one through the mail at a later date.

I'd prefer to meet several of you at one location if that is possible.

Too bad I'm missing Andy's "Maine Moxie Motion 2007" and the "Barns-b-que" this weekend (darn, darn,darn)!!!!!!

Dick
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 07-09-2007 at 10:38 PM.

I was hoping to get Dick over to my place on Thursday evening somewhere around 5:00 PM to 5:30. That would give us a three to four hours together. I have a wedding on Saturday here at the house and the LOML says it is all ladies here on Friday. I've even been banished to my sons house with the rest of the guys. If any of you can make it Thursday evening just PM me for the address.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning