Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Oval Shape Do You Like?

Which Oval Shape Do You Like?

I've been playing around with different oval/elliptical shapes for this big tabletop (10' long x 40"wide).

Which of these shapes do you like? The client said oval, but there's lots of oval shapes.

I've shown the available surface square footage of each shape, as well as some recognized names (rectangle, ellipse, racetrack oval) along with some Toddisms for the other shapes.

Anyways, what are your thoughts? Thanks for your input. Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images

Table shape

Tod for that piece of wood you have I like either of the ellipes you have drawn.

Question

Hey Todd,

What do the legs look like?

Todd,
    I like the Blunt...then the simple ellipse. But I'm sure you'll figure out what will go with the flow of the wood. I'd try not to force a form.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Todd

My vote is for blunt. Nothing worse than sitting at the curved end of a table.

Terry

Todd, I'll echo what Terry said, I like the blunt. Having sat at a lot of these big tables, sitting at the small curved ends really bites.

Be well,

Doc

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Definitely Blunt ! !
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Another vote for the blunt! I can't remember what you said this table would be used for, but I think for any applciation, like the others have said, getting shafting with the end seat of a fairly rounded corner like that would blow. No place for the elbows!

Keith

Todd, I'll echo Terry, Don and the Rebel. I too have sat at the small, rounded end of a large table..............you may as well sit on the floor...........at least on the floor you have enough room for your "stuff". I really like the blunt design............perhaps the blunt design with gently rounded ends where the side transitions into the blunted ends would be nice? I CAN'T wait to see the progress and results of this project...........WOW, what a piece of wood!

Oval

Either the Race Track Oval or the Standard Elipse type Oval

Man, Kevin, you stole my idea!! I'm all for the blunt shape, but, like Kevin, I wouldn't leave the pointy "corners"--I'd radius them somehow. Can't wait to see this monster of a table!!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

blunt

I like the shape better, you will waste less of that wonderful wood, and someone could sit more comfortably at the either end of the table.

Looking foreword to progress pics.
    I just want to live happily ever after,
    every now and then.

-- Jimmy Buffett

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Unique wood unique shape. Go for the dish!

TJH

Elliptical makes the most sense to me proportion wise, but I agree that the blunt (or a milder form of the dished idea) would be both attractive and functional for the individuals sitting at the table.

BTW, based on your frequent (and wonderful) illustrations, I've downloaded the preview for SketchUp to play with and watched some of the streaming videos. Very impressive application!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

where's the table going? what does the surrounding area look like? what's the primary purpose of the table (eating, serving, etc.)?

depending on the artsy-farsty quotient of the client (pardon the technical term ) and the setting (e.g., source of natural light), offset curves (as in a non-symmetrical ellipse) might really make this thing a showpiece.

ow - this side of the brain hasn't seen much activity lately,

b