Thread: Filling Blemishes in Cherry

Filling Blemishes in Cherry

I am making a coffe table for my daughter who is away at college and I need some quick advice. The cherry that I am using isn't necessarily primo material but it is what I could afford. I am wondering how I should go about filling a few small "pitch pockets" (I assume that this is the correct term) or if I should even bother.
    I know that cherry darkens with age and I was wondering if there is a filler material that won't eventually stick out like a sore thumb. What if I mix cherry saw dust with Tite Bond? Will this darken like the wood or will it always remain the same color?

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just saw a good video on FWW about how to use epoxy to fill in voids like this. It'll give you a smoother overall surface to work with.

The author used a colorant to make the epoxy black. Anything works well to color epoxy: a little sawdust, black ink, aniline dye. Even clear it it can look great.

The author took pains to cut the void a little wider and longer with a knife to make it look more natural.

Shawn,

I just finished watching the video on FWW and it sounds like exactly what I need to do. Thanks for sending the suggestion.
    Also I bought some 5 minute expoxy just last week to repair some defects in mesquite.

Bill

Personally, I would not fill them or try to hide them. It's part of the character of the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cunningham View Post
    Personally, I would not fill them or try to hide them. It's part of the character of the wood.
    +1 what Rob said. Thats one of the things I like about cherry. I think it adds character. If I didn't want the pitch pockets, I would have used Mahogany.

The video treats them how I like them treated:

He doesn't try to hide them; He fills and stabilizes them and makes them look natural.