Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of switch is in the HF 2HP dust collection system - where to get it too

What type of switch is in the HF 2HP dust collection system - where to get it too

I just bought a dust collection system that a guy hard wired so that when the plug get put in - the machine turns on

Can any of you help me - the system states:

2HP 20 AMP single phase 60HZ 3450RPM

if that helps

It is the toggle switch that is missing. Thanks in advance for the help

You can use a regular wall-switch if you like IF it's wired for 110v. If it's wired for 220v, you need a double-pole switch. I think they make 220v DPST switches that look like regular wall switches.

If you're looking for the exact switch, i'd give harbor freight a call. I've never had to order parts from them.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

The way it is wired it has two black wires and two white wires-- does a common 20A wall switch work for that.

Unfortunately, that isn't enough info to tell how it's wired. But the fact that there are two tells me it's capable of 220v operation and the original switch used a dual pole switch.

Does the plug look like a normal 110v plug?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

The plug looks like one you would see on a band saw - not a house. It has four leads (if that is the correct term) two for the black wires- two for the white wires.

Hmm ... maybe we have something very unique here. My bandsaw's plug (14" jet) is just a standard grounded 110v plug like you'd find on a computer or vacuum cleaner.

You have 4 prongs on your plug? That tells me it's very likely to be wired for 220v. You'd need a DPST switch if that's the case.

Any chance you can take a pic of the plug?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I had a HFDC and had to replace the factory switch as it was junk and the plastic switch failed.

First off the HFDC is 110V.

You can just use a single pole switch if you cannot find a dual pole.
    Hard wire the two white wires together. This is the return/common.
    Then use a single pole switch to switch the two black wires.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 07-08-2007 at 7:07 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

On my HF DC I leave the switch in the on position all the time. I turn it off and on using a very inexpensive remote switch that I picked up at the farm supply store. IIRC, the remote setup only cost around $9 and it's been working without a hitch for a couple of years now.

Mike I am going to go with what you stated unless Dave can show a photo of his set up and I can find it cheap-- Rockler and others want too much for remote switches.

Anyone who has this, do the black wires go in the back (where the prongs are out more) the left side on the first picture.

Here are three angles.

Yes this is a cheap switch. I agree.

Hey thanks for all the help too. I received this hard wired so that it goes on when it is plugged in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Kalkowski; 07-08-2007 at 10:10 PM.

I'd still like to see the plug on the cord before I'd suggest tying the two white wires together. I do notice that it sells as 110v only, but this machine's already been modified and I don't dare give advice without being fully sure.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I can take a picture of this too. The guy who owned it left the wires in the box alone. He just connected the contacts together - white to white and black to black so that it would run just by plugging it into the wall.

The plug is the original plug with the ground. The only modification was to connect the wires. I am going to take some photos tomorrow and post them. Hope this is educational for people with the DC too.

I just checked the shop but I do not have another switch to send you. Try radioshack - they should have one that will fit.

The remote they are talking about is $10 at Menards if you have one local. I used one on the HFDC as well. In fact one will be installed on the 5HP Cyclone as well thanks to some creative contactor and relay wiring.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Common problem I replaced mine with one from radio shack also.
    Larry

This isn't the exact wireless remote control switch that I use but the principle is the same. You should be able to find something similar locally. http://www.amazon.com/SVAT-WRC101-Wi.../dp/B000HAVVKG

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    This isn't the exact wireless remote control switch that I use but the principle is the same. You should be able to find something similar locally. http://www.amazon.com/SVAT-WRC101-Wi.../dp/B000HAVVKG

I just looked at this one on Amazon. Says for 10A. Doesn't a dust collector draw more tha 10a? I have a HF dust collector also. Would like a remote switch.