Thread: Project - Mantle Clock

Post Project - Mantle Clock

A friend of mine from work asked me to make him a clock, after seeing some of the clocks I've made. I sent him some links so he could give me ideas on what he liked, and he chose this one: http://www.klockit.com/zoom_img/34318.jpg from Klockit's web site. I ordered the movement and tried to reproduce the look, based on the photo.

The wood is Honduran Mahogany, finish is pure tung oil. The front and sides are clear acrylic, and the back is acrylic mirror. To help stabilize the columns, I drilled 1/4" deep recesses in the top and bottom, using a forstner bit. The top of the columns have a screw embedded in them which the brass knobs on top thread onto. The bottom of the columns are anchored by wood screws inserted through the bottom of the clock. The feet have levelers installed. These came with the clock movement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice John.

I like your version better than the link. You were more discriminating matching, and choosing wood, and your base has a more solid feel to it.

Nice work. I'm certain your friend will be very pleased.

Very pretty clock John.
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Very handsome timepiece, John. I also like yours better than the link. Just remove the top to reset the time? Or are there access holes in the back mirror? Would work (no pun intended) either way.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joe greiner View Post
    Just remove the top to reset the time? Or are there access holes in the back mirror? Would work (no pun intended) either way.

Joe
    Clock access is from the back. There's an 1/8th inch thick piece of mahogany behind the mirror, and there are turn knobs holding the back in place.

The top or bottom can be removed if necessary to replace a broken mirror, etc.

Great looking case. I love seeing the works.

That is one sharp looking clock! I made a similar piece many years ago from maple. However, your movement looks more interesting. Plus, I like your mahogany. Well done.

By the way, never set the time by moving the clock's arms or you will destroy the quartz movement. Always use the little wheel on the back of the movement. I know...I found that out the hard way.

-Jeff