Thread: How do you apply...and follow on maintenance

How do you apply...and follow on maintenance

Hey all,

I'm just wrapping up my first set of dining chairs (pictures coming soon) and I'm curious about how you would apply the final step in my finish. I opted for a home brew version of the Maloof finishes and am now applying the oil/wax step. It is my understanding that if you 'rub until your fingers get hot you're doing it right'. Well I did that on my test piece and things looked great, but I was a bit concerned today when I began its application. Not having ever applied this finish, but fair expierience with finishing wax, I began to apply and found that it stayed quite wet - especially in the corners. So after applying to a back, rail and leg, I wiped off the excess and then moved on the next section of the chair. No complaints, but things seemed to not 'pop' or shine too much. The recipe suggests 1 or 2 coats and I'm just wondering if the next coat will do so.

Also given this finish, how can i tell (or provide to) my customers to care for their new chairs? Shall I give them a small container of wax/oil?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Anyone? Bueller...anyone?
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php