Thread: Striking out

Striking out

I have been trying to locate ANY lathe capable of at least a 50" center to center. Woodcraft informs me that the Nova's are backordered, I can't get in touch with any Vega dealer. I cannot find any extensions that are made for the bigger lathes. I need to have this thing by wednesday, if I have to drive to pick it up. ANY ideas from you guys???

Check with Cutting Edge tools in Houston.........They had a good selection.....so did the Woodcraft in north Houston......both had lathes in the store in stock.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If you are really in a panic to get the job done you might have to buy and old lathe and get out the hacksaw. Cut it in half and bolt the 2 pieces in line on a bench. That'll get the newel posts done. Should be able to get an oldie for 100 bucks or so.

Call Joe Osolnik at Osolnik Machinery. They sell Powermatic and Jet and I'll bet Joe either has a PM3520b and bed extension in stock or will know where you can find one.

Great Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    If you are really in a panic to get the job done you might have to buy and old lathe and get out the hacksaw. Cut it in half and bolt the 2 pieces in line on a bench. That'll get the newel posts done. Should be able to get an oldie for 100 bucks or so.
    But unfortunately, everyone of the older lathes I have found are still priced close to new. I might end up having to pick up one from Harbor freight (argh, yuk, cough, spit) and cut it up. The powermatic route isn't feasible for me at this time. I would like to at least come out of the Newel deal with the lathe paid for. If I had the time, I'd sell one of my boats and order a Oneway or a Robust. Both very impressive, but would still want extensions for them to do Newels when I had the bussiness. Thanks for the help, I can tell I have found a True Woodturning site. I give the Houston WoodCraft store a shout this morning. Houstons only 10 hours away, no time for common carrier freight.

Craig,
    When I bought my Nova 3000, I picked up two extensions at the same time which gives me aobut 66" between centers. Hopefully Woodcraft can help you out.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

Adding the 17" Multi-extension to a Oneway 2436 will give you > 50" BC. You can also add multiple 60" large extensions if you want to turn much larger.

Craig, call Vega direct at 800-222-VEGA and tell Randy what you need. He may be able to help you out.

Bill

Just a thought...............How about a lathe and extentions to 50"? It might not be strong enough to do what you want, but I know the Rikon mini with two extentions will get you to 56".

Before I had the Rikon, I turned 5" square walnut laminations into 34" legs with only one extention, on a jet mini. Had more that enough guts to do it.

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Shiverdecker; 07-09-2007 at 12:48 PM.
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

two lathes?

There is a local turner here that uses two lathes for long stuff. He removes both the tail stocks. One lathe turns forward, the other in reverse. It seems to work well for him.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I've got a Nova 3000 with an extension on it plus the outboard turning setup and 1.5hp Leeson if you are interested. I live in southeast Kansas.

It's against the law around these parts to put a link to the online auction that starts with e and rhymes with Bay. But if you were to go there and search "Oliver lathe" you might find an Oliver 159H, 60" between centers on 7' ways with 2 days left. You might have your heart set on a new lathe but I don't think this Oliver would disappoint you when it comes to turning large spindles. Gas up the rig and head for Milwaukie.

[quote=Craig Carpenter;617696]...ANY lathe capable of at least a 50" center to center. ...quote]
    yes.
    The Powermatic 3520B has a 34.5" center to center distance and then add the 18" bed extension.
    This will give you 52.5" center to center and a very fine lathe also.
    Powermatic also makes a 50" long full bed extension that fits the same lathe giving 64.5" ctc if needed.
    I bought the 3520B and the 18" extension last December from Osolnik
    Machinery & Supplies in Kentucky and am very happy with the lathe and Osolnik.
    Rich S.

Thanks all of you so much for your help!! The Bossman is once again indecisive in the final say so about the newels. (sigh) I have found two lathes in my price range. Jet 708360 2hp 16" 42" with a 20" extension, Vega 1553TS1 - 15" swing 53" center to center, Nova 1624-44 16" inboard capacity, 29" outboard capacity, toss in 2 extensions and 64" center to center. It's 1.5 hp
    Really leaning towards the Nova, been talking with Gary, he is in the runing as well, Sedan is about an hour away.
    Thanks again!
    Craig