Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that I'm hooked, whats a good mini lathe to start with

Now that I'm hooked, whats a good mini lathe to start with

Well folks now that I'm hooked. Whats a good mini lathe to start with that I won't outgrow for the long run? I can see some bigger lathes in my future, but just now looking for a mini. I don't mind paying for quality, but don't want a Bentley on a Cadillac budget. This would be for primarily smaller projects, pens, etc. I just don't want to purchase one and then upgrade because of quality problems or outgrowing its small capabilities. The future machines would of course be for the larger projects, but that's down the line some. And speaking of futures, I can already see a decline in the 401k contribution, savings acct depletion, stock shares dwindling, etc etc etc. I could have probably done a search on SMC but looking for the downright facts from owners that have already put them through the grinder.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Mark.....the inmates here last year decided I needed to learn to turn. They gifted me with a Jet VS Mini, SuperNova2 chuck, tools, videos, wood and a check to buy some tools that I might be needing. I've turned pens, bowls, NEs, and HFs. The Jet VS Mini is a good little lathe and when I upgrade later this year, I'll keep it for teaching others to turn, as a buffer and for pens.

A lot of members have had good luck with the little Rikon Mini.

Good luck with your Abysseration! Remember that the only thing that gets hurt in the never ending journey in the Vortex.....is your pocketbook!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jet VS Mini is a great lathe and when you want larger capacity you can always get a big white lathe made up north

I turn on a Jet mini and have pushed it to its limits (particularly the bearings ) and is hasn't given up on me yet. No complaints here.

Mark, I'm still new to this and I mostly just bought something cheap to start out with. I will upgrade to something larger one day but the one I have now is a little red PSI TCLPRO. I haven't heard anyone else here say that they have one of these. <$160 with a 10" swing, 1/2 HP but not much torque. You can't put a 50 lb hunk of oak to rough turn on it, but it'll handle anything else.

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions but if you can afford it you probably will want a variable speed model instead of one where you have to move the belt.
    Mike

I've got the lil Red PSI too. I think it's pretty good. I'll keep mine till it dies a natural death. I've put it through some hell teaching myself how to turn

The best quality minis are Oneway 1018 and Vicmarc VL100. Next in line is Jet mini. Jet has the best value, with 90+% of the quality at a fraction of the price of the first two. Jet holds up well and the service is good.

A lot of turners do want a bigger lathe. But most like their Jet mini so much that they still keep their mini. There are a lot of mini lathes out there; but you don't see them on EBay that often.

On some brands, the quality may not be consistent. You don't want some brand that looked good on specification; and have to replace the headstock 2 ~ 3 times within several months.

Gordon

As mentioned above, I believe Jet offers the best value. It is not the best but sure have a very high batting average - satisfied customers wise.

I own a Jet mini VS and another bigger VS lathe and use the mini a lot on smaller turnings like pens .
    Dario

Mark

I'll vote again for the Jet. Focus on local sales for awhile. I picked up a Jet mini (standard transmission unit) used for $200 at an auction for my Dad. Now $200 ain't a great deal just for the lathe but it had a set of crown tools, a collet chuck set and a handful of other piece and parts. Dad added everything up in the catalog and thinks he got $700 worth of stuff. He told Mom we only paid $50. 76 years old and 48 years married, he is still telling tool fibs.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Hi Frank,

OMG I can see myself in those shoes, lol. I got it on flea-bay, or at a garage sale, etc. lol. As stated in another post, I am the one of the family trying to talk me out of it, but I think it's got me. LOML is up for a big promotion at work, and if it works out ok, I can see a pen & pencil set in it for her. Then as I stated, I love fishing, and can compare this to that. 100 lb test LOML line--fish on the hook, LOL. Think I'm already netted though, lol.
    I have heard the Jet VS mini's are a good product. I just don't want to blow the money and get rid of the thing in near future. I usually buy equipment to keep for it's purpose, and if it will serve it's purpose well, then one will find a home with me.

Fishing? Well you can use the Jet Mini to turn your own rod grips - custom rod building anyone

OOOOOOOH, whole nother concept I didn't envision!!!!

I haven't done a lot of woodturning at this point (just some playing around with a 50's rockwell/delta lathe in a school woodshop) but I like it a lot and decided I needed to get into it. After some reading and asking around, on Saturday I picked up one of the new Jet 1220 mini lathes from Cutting Edge Tools here in Houston. I haven't had a chance to do more than poke at the machine and put a piece of rosewood between the centers just to make sure it ran, but it appears to be a very high quality piece of equipment. It is heavy for its size (about 100lbs), and runs very quietly and very smoothly, even at high speeds. I think it would be worth looking at. You get a little more swing, a little more distance between centers, and a little more motor power over most of the minis. I guess it might be a midi lathe, not really a mini.
    Last edited by Jimmy Newman; 07-09-2007 at 4:23 PM.

I have the Rikon Midi, and couldn't be happier. Love it to death! 16" between centers and 12" swing over the bed. Fit & Finish are great. Don't know about the Customer Service yet, as I've had no reason to contact them.
    Frank Howell
    AKA: Ice Pirate

"Slow is Fast, Fast is Slow"

'I love the smell of sawdust in the moring, it smells like, victory.'

My .02. You will not go wrong with either the Jet mini or the Rikon Mini. Jet now has a 12" mini out . Haven't used it so can't comment. I have owned the Jet Mini and beat it up for a year. No complaints. Then I replaced it with the Rikon. 2" Itis! The Rikon turned a 12 ' bowl and a 16" spindle, for the same money. The Rikon was beat up, too, and held up just as well.

The Rikon is now being used by a young lady that wanted to become a turner, but didn't have the money. I was approached by two turners who were looking to help her out. I had bought the Nova 16-24-44, and since the Rikon was too heavy for me to use as a traveling lathe, I made them a deal they couldn't refuse. I hope she is having fun making it spin.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554