Thread: Thoughts on Salt/Pepper Mill

Thoughts on Salt/Pepper Mill

This is a couple years back, but I wanted to get feedback and give the idea up for something new to try. It seemed to work quite well when I did it - but no one seemed to like the idea.

It was more of a challenge than a item to sell. Only made two of them successfully (a couple others became fodder).

The key was salt shaken from the top and pepper grinded through the mill on the bottom. I guess they sell kits that do this now without the work...

The trick was to keep all gaps closed from top to bottom so your salt doesn't fall through to the pepper. My first couple didn't work well, this one did. You can't tell from the photos - but the center shaft sticks up higher than the sides - the top had the holes for the salt and the countersunk and tightly snug receiver for the shaft. Once screwed on - the only place salt could flow was through the holes in the lid... Timely for a beginner - but I had fun...

Enjoy... I'm going back to my laser forum....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Steve,
    That's a great idea. I've been making peppermills for a while now and have been wanting to experiment with something like that. Ceramic mechanisms are available without a shaft. I have one and have been wanting to experiment with your idea. I had planned to make the top a salt cellar and thread the body and top so you can unscrew it. But, have to play with that aspect and such. I'm trying to wrap my head around how to do the mill body with the shaftless mechanism.

If anyone has successfully done a mill with the shaftless mechanism, I'd like to hear from you.

Again, Steve, I like your idea.

The destination isn't nearly as exciting as the path used to get there.

One other note - I tried doing the mill work leaving the shaft at first - hectic is about the cleanest word I can use. I defaulted to using a dowel rod. Drilling and then glueing it into the top half. It made the salt section turning a lot easier just gouging it all out.
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Maybe drill a hole in the salt shaker base prtion large enough to receive the cap of the pepper mill shaft and a rubber tube. Use a rubber tube large enough to get the cap into it, but small enough to get the pressure needed to turn the pepper mill. Glue the rubber tube to the salt shaker base.

To refill the salt, pull the top section off the pepper mill shaft cap, refill and replace. NO????

Just a thought running in my mind to clear clutter from the top of the mill. Not even sure it would work, but a trial and error for later. Sorry just thinking outloud.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!