Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids Contest?

Kids Contest?

When was the last time the Creek had a Kid Contest. Since they would all be winners maybe they could all get a Creeker Hat. Possibly there could be prizes for the top three and we could solicit some of our laser folks to do up some special placks for those places. Let's kick around some ideas and see what we can come up with. We could hold the contest in late august early September when all are back from vacation. Little price to pay by each of us for the kid or Kids we sponsor to have a great time and get some on-line recognition. Plus it would help the funding drive. Any thoughts? I got the idea when looking at the following post. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61323 Just a thought
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Great idea! All should "win" in some way or another.... I like the idea of the entry fee as a fundraiser too.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    Great idea! All should "win" in some way or another.... I like the idea of the entry fee as a fundraiser too.
    I probably need to be clearer in what I said. Each Kid we entered we could buy a hat for so that when they are done they would all have a prize. If someone couldn't aford the hat we could help. They could just PM a moderator and the moderator could tell us how much we needed to help some one out. No one else would have to know who the request came from. Again, just a thought.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley View Post
    Each Kid we entered we could buy a hat for so that when they are done they would all have a prize.
    That fits with what I was thinking... that each kid will have a prize, regardless of who provides it! I wasn't expecting SMC to front a bunch of hats.

I think its a great idea.

Good idea, but the only kid in my house that will enter would be me. SWMBO is still saying no to turning for the mancub - even with my hands on his hands.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

This sounds interesting but I have no idea how to make a kid on my lathe. What kind of chuck do you use?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Kid Contest

Chris
    I would be happy to do the engraving on a wood plaque. All we need to do is decide what you would like on it. Anything to support the up coming generation. Will donate the plaque as well as the engraving.
    ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

Can turners in their 2nd childhood enter?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What would be te age restriction? I have a 13-14 year old that a friend and I are mentoring. I love the idea. I would love to see what Zack could do when given the challenge of a competition! Let's get the ball rolling.

If this is to be a turning contest, i say have the top two or three get a turned trophy. Some of our more experienced turners could make a simpe turning on a larger foot, ship them to the engraver and whalla!!! Shoot if I had the time I would make the trophies myself, but I'm giong to have to be turning an entry.......I meant having Zach turn the entry, yeah that's what I meant!!!!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

For the Kids...

I could definitely support and idea like this Chris. I don't have kids but could help financially. Let's see where this goes!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Can I enter if I am just really imature?
    Mike Vickery

OK....count me in on this.
    I'm all about helping kids know more about woodworking.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Count me in also. My 11 year old daughter would love it. What will they be turning pens? or what.

Roger

Great Idea

I would gladly sponsor a prize / participation award. Just let me know what, if anything, you need.

I know the "kids" stuff will be better than mine but we should encourage them anyway!