Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Layout

Question Shop Layout

I have just joined SMC and am attempting to become a more serious woodworker. I have just built a workshop and am currently laying out where the tools go and purchasing tools I do not yet have.

I just purchased an Oneida 3hp DC and will be starting work with them on the venting so I need to get an idea if there are any gotcha's in my current layout. I am pretty flexible and willing to adjust the layout for ease of work. Tool locations will start becoming fixed in about 4 weeks after I have finished painting that half of the workshop with epoxy floor paint.

I have included a floor plan but no pictures (too large to post according to the picture manager). I will need to figure out how to reduce the number of bits.

I am also looking for recommendations in bandsaws, planers, and lathes. I am willing to try to recondition older equipment (currently I have only purchased new). Some examples on this site have persuaded me to attempt this activity.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man, I wish I had all that space, 5000 sq ft. in fact, I think your shop is larger than my entire plot of land that my tiny house sits on...
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 01-17-2004 at 6:50 PM.

Wow, 50x100...three times the size of my house and 10+ times the size of my 2-car garage shop. Speechless . Heck, the finishing room would make me a good shop!!

Have fun with your new shop arrangement. My only advice is that yoiu should remain iopen to change, as you start working in it, you'll no doubt want to tweak it a bit. I've moved everything except my TS more than once.

Do you use a golf cart to get from one tool to another?
    Lynn J. Sonier

"Holy amphitheater, Batman!" Whew...Ever consider changing your name to "Noah"? That place is big enough to build an Ark! Very nice. I take it you may be a gearhead, as well? I noted the lift, what looks like a metal machine shop area and your paint booth is big enough for vehicles. Anyhow, welcome aboard! Enjoy, learn, contribute and hang out! Great place to be. Oh, and everyone really enjoys pictures around here, so get geared up for that, too!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

That's going to be a great shop! (Welcome to SMC)

Do consider putting your cyclone (and compressor) in a separate closet for noise reduction. Trust me...you'll be glad you did! You also will want your cyclone at one end of the shop to allow for a single main duct run to service the shop if at all possible. Oneida has a nice ductwork guide available on their site which illustrates some sample designs that work best.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would put the collector closer to the exit door, so when you are emptying the bin, you don't have as far to travel, and any dust generated won't be in the middle of your primary work area. Also, with the collector being on the right-end wall, you can run a single main tube horizonally across your shop, with wyes going up and down (as viewing the drawing above). With your current drawing, you'll have to run a wye to go both left and right. And, I'm not sure the 3HP is big enough if you want to go all the way to the lathe in your office. Todd.

Wow, awesome. Like the others, my new shop will be around the size of your paint booth. I think if I had all that room, I would still group my big noise/dust makers in one area near the DC. I would surround that with handtool and assembly areas.

Looks like you'll be set to fabricate a hotrod and build furniture. That's my dream.

Also, why did this get moved from the power tool forum. It seems to deal mostly with powertools and dust collection.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Wow!

Robert -

First, welcome to the Creek. There are a lot of talented people here with lots of good advice . . . . . and a great place to hang out.

Wow! You can get a work out just going from one end to the other. It must be really nice to have room to move around without moving the tools around.

Welcome,
    Ted

Not certain why it was moved to this forum. I guess I need to ask specific questions about specific power tools in the other forums.

The idea of putting the DC at the end makes a lot of sense and I will ask Oneida if that would be better. I only need to go 50 feet because the tools in the office are for working with models (boats/planes) and I do not expect to put them (or the metal working tools) on that DC. Oneida is working up the ducting at this time and I will see what they recommend.

And an answer to another question: yes I do work with cars. I am currently finishing up an '87 Jeep CJ-7 that I took down to the frame and installed a corvette engine with kevlar body (as well as other toys). When that is finished I will be restoring a '35 Ford Touring car (flathead).

Pictures later. It is still a mess from working on the drywall and floor painting.

Talking

Finally, I figured out how to do the pictures small enough.

The first is looking down from the storage area over the office to the woodworking area. Everything is removed and the floors etched for the epoxy paint in 2 weeks.

The second is looking at the storage area above the paint / finish room.

The third is looking back towards the office area and bathroom.

The fourth is the paint/finish room.

The final is part of the office / small modeling room.

All pictures taken in just the lights in the building and not using flash. The metallic halide lights are great. Also can be seen in the pictures are the radiant heating tubes. You also might notice the car lift is handy for getting additional wood off the floor while painting.

The oneida DC should be received next week and will be put on the far wall shown in the first picture. Maybe someday I will get to do some other activities than build my workshop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

that is quite a space!!!! Make sure the equipment is organized to handle the lumber as it comes in (size it, breakdown) to finer tasks as it moves through.
    looks terrific
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Man! What's the ballpark price tag on this in CO?

_Aaron_

This space brings tears to my eyes...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Since I built it myself (and am still building as you can see from the unfinsihed drywall) it cost about 80K.

After painting the floor, I will mud and paint the walls. After that I will hang the DC pipes, drop electrical in the center, add air stations, and move the equipment into place.

I can then finish the office cabinets and start on the main bay cabinets and storage areas.

Lot of work left.