Thread: Blank Supplier

Blank Supplier

I have only been turning for maybe a little over a month now. Have made about a dozon pens on my Jet mini and they seem to all go to family and friends as soon as they are done. So I am still learning. I have looked into buying some pen blanks from a site called Lee Tree Woodworks. Has anyone done buisness with him and what was the results. Its appears that he has some very nice blanks. Also is there any tricks or cautions to turning the burls
    My thanks to all of you for the help. I have leaned a lot just reading the forum.
    Ron

good supplier

Ron

I've ordered from him and had great service. His shipping to Canada is one of the best that I've encountered, and he kept me posted on progress until they arrived.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Ron...

I, too, am in the pen making (er...learning phase). I recently bought some pens on "the" online auction from "WoodmanMike." Got well over 100 blanks, representing around 8 exotic species, for about 25 cents/blank. Since, like you all my pens are "giveaways," it helped to keep my cost down. I was pleased with my buying experience, the quality of the wood was superb and the shipping was fast (not to mention inexpensive).

Good luck...and do let us know your experience in buying blanks.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip H Smith View Post
    Ron...

I, too, am in the pen making (er...learning phase). I recently bought some pens on "the" online auction from "WoodmanMike." Got well over 100 blanks, representing around 8 exotic species, for about 25 cents/blank. Since, like you all my pens are "giveaways," it helped to keep my cost down. I was pleased with my buying experience, the quality of the wood was superb and the shipping was fast (not to mention inexpensive).

Good luck...and do let us know your experience in buying blanks.
    I had the exact same experience. I got 154 blanks for ~$20 + USPS flat rate shipping ($8.95).
    Last edited by Patrick Taylor; 07-11-2007 at 12:56 PM.

Lee Tree Woodworks is great to work with. I've ordered from him many times and have always been satisfied.

The business used to be run by Lee Tannenbaum but I noticed that it now lists Steve Potts on the "About Me" page. Anyone know if it recently changed hands?
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

I'm not familiar with the particulars of it, but I believe LeeTree was just bought out by someone new in the past couple months. There was a note about it on the front page at one point, but now I couldn't find any mention of it. I'm not sure if the original guy is still involved or not, but I've heard very good things about him.

He does have a $40 minimum purchase, though, which might not fit in with what you are looking for.

I'll also recommend Woodmanmike on the big auction site...I've bought from him 4 times and been extremely pleased with the blanks and his service. I also like ordering from BigRob777 in the Business Classified forum on the International Association of Penturners website. Several other smaller sellers also sell on IAP...I've ordered from a few and never heard anything bad about any of them.
    Working for a living is really starting to interfere with my hobbies!

Thanks for the information all. The $40 min is probably no problem as I have already passed that amount in what I have wanted so far, Also could one of you guys tell me what aution site you are refering too. I tried ebay and could not get any info on Woodmanmike,
    Thanks again.

Ron...

If you go to the auction site you mentioned, look for "woodmanmike8875"....
    he sells blanks in lots of 154, which are what fits in the USPS "fixed rate" shipping box. Right now he has several items. And you can simply do a search at the auction for "pen blanks." There's usually lots of choices.

I've found his prices most reasonable. In fact, I've gotten most of my blanks from him as an "only bidder." Maybe some folks are reluctant to buy 154 blanks at a time. Hey, I've taken some of those "extras" and glued 'em together to play with in reverse turnings. His blanks are "dead on" square...and at 25 cents/per (or so), I think it's an inexpensive way to play!
    Phil

Thanks for the info-- I've been searching that site with just the name and not the numbers after it. For that price I can afford to practice.