Thread: Shall I buy the Festool jigsaw?

Question Shall I buy the Festool jigsaw?

Hi folks,

as you probably know, I'm a Festool fan. Right now Festool offers a good deal on the Trion PS 300 EQ jigsaw in Austria. The saw costs about EUR 50 less than last year. While I can afford this saw I don't feel an urgent need for it. But, of course, I want the Festool one day and this seems to be a good buy. At the moment I use my dad's old Bosch jigsaw. For sure this is a nice saw but it doesn't have a dust collection system, the CP guide and a simple blade changing system. I can get along with the blade changing mechanism of the Bosch but I really like the idea of having dust collection on the jigsaw.

Shall I buy the Trion now?

Thanks,

Christian Aufreiter, Austria
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Aufreiter

Shall I buy the Trion now?
    In a word, YES! If the price is favorable at this time and you can afford it, by all means, DO so. If you don't have an "urgent" need for it, trust me, the next time you need to use a jigsaw, you'll be so very happy you have the Trion. The cutting on it is effortless and the dust collection ability is second to none. And, with the ZC inserts, you can zig-zag a line in 6/4 Hard Maple and the cut is *square* to the surfaces! Snag that puppy...You won't be sorry!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Christian,

It's a great saw and the dust collection works well although you have to get used to the hose being attached. I did a review of the Trion, both barrel and top handle and think that they are exceptional. As with any jig saw in order to get the best results you have to use the right blade for the type/thickness of the wood and of course blade speed and technique are very important. It's not hard to make the Trion perform like a $39 B&D if you dont use it correctly.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Of course you "want" to buy it.

Seriously, like Bill, I have a recent review of the PS300-EQ on my site that you might find useful. I chose the barrel grip, but also used the D-handle when Bob stopped buy. Both are great.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for your comments, guys. I've already read those reviews and it seems that this saw is really an outstanding tool. I'd certainly go for the barrel grip as my dad's Bosch is a top handle and I don't feel very comfortable if I cut "under the table" (= the saw turned upside down).

Regards,

Christian

And what is the matter.......

...with your Daddys' Bosch? Festool is no doubt a fine product, but dust collection on a jig saw? I have enough trouble with the @#$^% cord, let alone a hose. The barrel Bosch jig saw is a "great" tool. Time will tell on the Festool, but it does have quality appeal. I urge everyone to use the reverse blades. I like cutting with the face up. Let us know how you like it, Christian.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps
    ...with your Daddys' Bosch? Festool is no doubt a fine product, but dust collection on a jig saw? I have enough trouble with the @#$^% cord, let alone a hose. The barrel Bosch jig saw is a "great" tool. Time will tell on the Festool, but it does have quality appeal. I urge everyone to use the reverse blades. I like cutting with the face up. Let us know how you like it, Christian.
    I have the Festool and like it but I don't use the dust collection. Steering it with the hose on becomes difficult as you say. Plus it is difficult to see where your going with the plastic nosepiece on. The blade becomes obscurred. But the Festool mechanics are really good, with the blade plunger at the bottom of its stroke there is virtually no play. Some of the other saws I've checked, particularly brand "M", the plunger is almost loose, the zero clearance insert lasts about 1 curve. Blade sway and more!

Gene

Gloat

Hi folks,

thanks for your comments and your great help. I decided for the Trion and had a chance to play with it this morning. So far, I'm quite impressed with its performance. The dust collection is good but not as effective as on other (Fes)tools. This is probably the result of the way a jigsaw is constructed. The saw runs smoothly and the majority of cuts is flawless.

Regards,

Christian