Thread: A carved, ebonized, and gilded, wing back chair. (Pix)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A carved, ebonized, and gilded, wing back chair. (Pix)

First I want to thank everyone who visited and responded to my last project post;

A small table that took a whole lot of work. (Pix)

and, as always, I welcome your comments AND critiques on this latest project.

This is a hand carved, ebonized, faintly gilded, and upholstered, wing back chair. It is upholstered in black leather and faux deer hide, over 18 hand tied springs. It has come to be known as “Bambi”.

This custom designed and fit chair is for a very petite lady who has always had problems with chairs fitting her. It is a “modified” wing back chair that is actually designed to be more of an office chair that will be used at a desk, rather than the normal read a book type of wing back chair.

This is the chair that I carved the Ball and Claw feet for;

You can see the entire thread on carving these feet here;

A unique style of Ball and Claw feet for a chair. PIX

The construction actually started with a full size prototype that was designed from a client fitting in a dining room chair and then we adjusted downward in size to fit her frame.

After we felt we had the correct size, I used the prototype to make the templates, and cut all the walnut parts. Before I started shaping and leg sculpting, I cut all the mortise and tenons in the leg blanks and aprons.

Next the leg blanks were cut on the band saw.

Only the front legs have B&C feet so the back legs were easy, but I cut one extra blank for the front in case something went wrong I would have an extra blank.
    Last edited by John Fry; 07-12-2007 at 12:37 AM.
    John

Chisel And Bit
    Custom Crafted Furniture