Thread: older ridgid jointer vs new model

older ridgid jointer vs new model

Ive been looking for a jointer lately and just came across an older model ridgid - the one with the gray colored base. does anyone know of any significant differences between the older ones and the current models ( with the orange base). THANKS!

I seem to recall reading that Ridgid changed suppliers for their motors when the tools went from gray to orange, and that the new supplier isn't considered as good as the previous one.

I could be remembering this all wrong though. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Of course, you could probably just look at the motor on the old one you are considering to determine this for certain.

The older ones were made by Emerson AFAIK...might even be American made. IIRC, the older models have an enclosed base. The actual jointer and fence mechanism are about the same....both very similar to the older Griz 1182, Jet, Sunhill, Bridgewood design. FWIW, Wood Mag rated all those in 2001 or 2002 and picked the Ridgid 2nd just behind the 1182...all got good marks though.

If the price is right and it's in good condition, it should make for a good machine.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I had a gray Ridgid jointer... solid machine made by Emerson, in the USA if I remember right.

My impression is that when they went orange, they kept the design but went overseas for manufacturing, under new ownership.

I agree with the above. I have the gray one that I got for $100 due to it being the last one they had and it was the display. This was when they were switching over to the orange ones. It is a very solid machine.