1 0.30%
  • Woodworking

12 3.64%
  • Other

7 2.12%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Woodworking Magazine, take 2

Favorite Woodworking Magazine, take 2

I started a previous thread with a poll to vote on favorite woodworking magazine. Unfortunately, I left off a few obvious choices by mistake, so several people asked me to create a new poll.

This thread and poll is the result of that.

I had to leave off Weekend Woodcrafts and Workbench this time, because the polls are limited to 10 choices. I apologize for anyone that would have chosen one of those. In that case, please vote "other."

Popular woodworking

I subscribed many years ago... 10 plus... I don't want to be contrary because different strokes you know.. I can't stand that magazine.

The final straw was when they had a project to make a stepladder... you know the kind you get from homecenter for $25... like 6 footer.. I find this as a ridiculous project but to each his own...
    I love woodsmith and fine woodworking is great.
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

I don't subscribe to any magazines at all.

I wanted to when I was a kid but as the years passed they all started to seem less and less appealing.

FW was and remains the one I think I'd get if I got any but still - - - - - -

Blog Entries
    I found Workbench had morphed into more of a DIY/Home Improvement mag which is great, but not what I'm after. I like that Woodsmith has shop focus, tips and jigs and an heirloom project. Shop Notes is a close second. Both are ad free. I also find FWW online to be very valuable.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I voted for FWW but Popular Woodworking is a very close second. I love FWW's online content.

About Workbench, I agree with glenn that it has become more home improvement-oriented but it's still one of my favorites, just not for pure WWing. It's a bit more advanced than Family Handyman.

No Favorite...

I had subscribed to PW for two years. During one of those years, I also subscribed to WJ, hoping to get a magazine every month, but unfortunately they were both on the same every-other-month cycle.

I really enjoyed PW but now, I don't know if I've changed or if it's the magazine, or both, but I found I was getting less and less out of the magazine.

I've seen a couple of issues of FWW, but the price seems too steep, as compared to most other magazines. I guess if I was seeing projects featured that I actually had an interest in making, I'd subscribe to something again, but for now, I seem to get better inspiration right here at SMC!

- John

Quote Originally Posted by John Hulett View Post
    I had subscribed to PW for two years. During one of those years, I also subscribed to WJ, hoping to get a magazine every month, but unfortunately they were both on the same every-other-month cycle.
    - John
    John,
    It sounds like you need better self-discipline. Even if both came at the same time, you should have put one of them away for a month. Just like if you get paid twice a month, you can't spend it all in the first week.

No, I'm just kidding with you. I know what you mean. I hate that they only come every two months, because as soon as I get one, I usually read it cover to cover in the first couple of days...

I'm really surprised that there aren't more votes for Wood. I think at one time or another, I've subscribed to almost every WW magazine out there. It got to be so overwhelming that I even created an Excel database so I can easily find articles, tips and plans that interest me. Looking over that database, Wood easily outranks the others in the sheer number of entries.

I also think that FWW is a great magazine, but if I could only have one magazine, it would be Wood.

Just my .02...

Keith

I voted for FWW, but if this poll had been multiple choice, Wood, Woodsmith, and Shop Notes would have made the cut. We subscribe to all four (plus others), and we find that the information, tool reviews, project plans, etc. in all four are valuable and worth the price of the subscriptions.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Beck View Post
    I'm really surprised that there aren't more votes for Wood. I think at one time or another, I've subscribed to almost every WW magazine out there. It got to be so overwhelming that I even created an Excel database so I can easily find articles, tips and plans that interest me. Looking over that database, Wood easily outranks the others in the sheer number of entries.

I also think that FWW is a great magazine, but if I could only have one magazine, it would be Wood.

Just my .02...

Keith
    I"m with you on this one about WOOD but alot of magazine snobs like to say that they "out-grew" it.
    Gary K.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    but if this poll had been multiple choice, Wood, Woodsmith, and Shop Notes would have made the cutNancy
    Nancy, I certainly agree that it can be hard to choose just one. I went for the "only choose one" style poll figuring that it would provide some numbers that might be helpful to people looking for a new magazine, to see what other people like. And of course, then someone looking for a new magazine can choose whether to just look at the top 1, or top 3, or so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    I"m with you on this one about WOOD but alot of magazine snobs like to say that they "out-grew" it.
    Gary K.
    I've been subscribing to Wood magazine for years, and even bought a huge "lot" of them on ebay once so that I've now got most of about 10 or 12 years of it. I really like the magazine, but it seems lately like the articales are re-hashes of articles they already did.

Of course, that may well be true of my new favorite, FWW, but I just haven't been reading it long enough to start seeing it.

I think many woodworking magazines run out of creative ideas after a while. I was a charter subscriber to Woodsmith and kept it up for years, but I finally decided they had nothing new to say to me, although I find the quality of the magazine to be excellent. I faithfully saved old copies and recently realized I'd never looked at them after the first run through. I needed the space, so I sold the old ones on Ebay for enough to by an LCD TV!

I subscribe to magazines when they interest me and then stop when the articles become repetitious. For example, how many times will I read articles about how to build a bookcase?

FW is my favorite. Pricey, but well done and covers the spectrum. Most magazines offer good info. I tend to take reviews with a grain of salt. Call me cynical, but I just refuse to accept that a publisher will bite the hand that feeds 'em.

I won't buy anything published by August Homes Publishing (Shop Notes, Woodsmith, Workbench).

I voted for Woodsmith because it isn't filled up with a bunch of advertiseing and the prodjects are more practical than Fine Woodworking. I spend enough time on prodjects, I don't need to be spending rediculous amounts of time trying to make a museum piece that no one wants to pay for.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 05-29-2007 at 2:34 PM.

It seems there are quite a few WW rags I have been missing out on totally. The local stores never have anything other than PWW and FWW. I already subscribe to both.
    The day you think you know everything will be very same day you stop learning.