Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another Band Saw Query

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Darby View Post
    Today is Woodcraft 10% sale, and free shipping tossed in to boot.*

Hmmm I wonder what the Rikon minus 10% comes to?
    I just got back with mine.

Rikon 14" Deluxe BS = $674.99
    All Pro 1/4" X 6R X 111" = $17.09
    PS 3/4" X 3TPI X 111" = $31.49

Tax = $63.31

Not bad... $786.88 Out the door with two blades. Saved about $80

I got a 14" Jet with an open stand (3/4 HP). I wanted a lighter saw so that I could get it home myself. I looked at a local Delta at Lowes, but the box looked like someone went after it with a sledge hammer. After problems with a returned, damaged Delta already, I decided to go with a Jet.

The Jet quality is good. I'd recommend getting the biggest saw that your back and electrical supply can handle. My impression of the Jet is that the quality control is very good. I can recommend them, but wish that I had driven 90 miles to get a closed stand, bigger model Jet at Woodcraft.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwain Lambrigger View Post
    I am looking to buy a band saw. I want to get something that is really well rounded, that I won't grow out of too quickly. I am not doing re sawing now, but may in the future. I also want something that can run with a thin blade for scrolling. I have heard the Ricon 14" Deluxe is getting GREAT reviews, but I thought the $750.00 price tag was too high for me. I am seeing some 14" Delta's on sale at clist for about $300.00. Am I looking for trouble? I was hoping to spend about $500 - $600 dollars on this purchase. As I said before, I don't have a problem buying the old stuff, however, I am not confident on my tool reconditioning skills. Will a one hp motor do the job, or should I go with a 1.5? Are there features I am loosing with an older band saw? Help!

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I sound like a broken record but, I guess its because there have been so many 14" BS threads lately. The Rikon 10-325 is what I'm after unless someone developes something better before I get there. JMHO after lots of research targeting what I plan to use a BS for. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Well, I'm very impressed with the Rikon 10-325 so far. The PS blade (3/4" X 3TPI) made mincemeat out of a 4" hemlock fir scrap. It was an easy setup, no hesitation, effortless resaw job. I had a Jet 14" deluxe earlier in the week, and returned it after two days. What a difference. The Rikon is quickly becoming my favorite piece of equipment. I'll keep practicing on scrap for a while before I put pricey wood through it, but if this is an indication of things to come, WOW!!!