Thread: Ellsworth Jig on smaller bowl gouges?

Ellsworth Jig on smaller bowl gouges?

Has anyone used the Ellsworth Jig (the official one) for putting an Ellsworth-type grind on smaller (e.g. 3/8" bowl gouges)? I know the jig is made to exactly fit the 5/8" gouge, but it appears that one could center a smaller gouge in it and then hold it in place with the hold down screw.

I do have the vari-grind jig as well, so I'm sure I could get a reasonable fingernail/celtic grind on a 3/8" gouge, but I was hoping to better mimic the Ellsworth grind, which I really like on the Crown-PM 5/8".

Any suggestions?

Rob

Rob,
    You can always slide a wood shim (1/4") with a very slight taper into the fixture along with your gouge to take up the gap.

Dick

The newer version of the Ellsworth jig will work with a 1/2" gouge as you hold the gouge to the left side of the jig and tighten the set screw. Works fine.

Fold a piece of sheet metal

Fold a piece of scrap sheet metal into a |__| shape. Drill a hole in the horizontal section for the set screw. Invert it in the Ellsworth jig. Use appropiate thickness/es of tin cans, tin, etc until you get a snug, centered fit. Have fun. Make it removable so that jig will work for various gouges.

Bill Turpin in WNC mountains

Bushing

As Bill suggested above, you can line the hole and keep the gouge concentric with the jig's geometry. A well-stocked hardware store will have sleeves or bushings to handle that step-down. You might have to buy two: big-to-1/2", then 1/2"-to-small.
    The nylon bushings that come with a new grinder stone also can do this job, or get you half-way. These too are available at the hardware, but most of us have a collection in a bin somewhere...

Bob Vallaster

Thanks to those of you that posted. What are most of you doing with (for example) a 3/8" bowl gouge that you want to put a fingernail/celtic/Ellsworth type grind on? Are you using the Vari Grind jig, modified Ellsworth jig, freehand, or ???? I understand that some folks use the 5/8" Ellsworth gouge for both large and small bowls.

What's your preference?

Blog Entries
    I haven't had to sharpen mine yet but this is the jig I have to do so. The pic was just a quick mock up. I did notice that this jig will not allow me to come all the way around the cut before lifting the pin out of the V-groove. Does anyone have a pic of a sharpener that is designed for this tool?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.