Thread: Compact 100 veneer press

Compact 100 veneer press

I'm trying to get opinions from owners of the Compact 100 veneer press from www.vacupress.com or the similar one sold by www.qualityvak.com. I'd like to do some veneering but it won't be a mainstay of my furniture making so I don't want to spend a fortune. For those who have one of these smaller units, are you happy with it or do you wish you'd have bought something pricier? Is the 1 cfm pump sufficient or do you find yourself wishing you had something faster?

I've owned a Compact 100 for about two years now and in that time I have used it to press roughly 50 projects (practice panels, table tops, cabinet doors and recently decorative marquetry panels). Right now I am using it to veneer a set of side panels for a CD cabinet. In general, I've been very happy with this model and have the 1 cfm pump to be adequate for my needs. IMHO, a slower pump is preferred - as the pump draws the bag tight, the caul and panels can shift and you will need to make adjustments (push or pull) things back into alignment before it's impossible to move. The only advantage I can see in one of the pricier units is that the vacuum switch will automatically shut the pump off when the proper vacuum level is reached - this reduces noise in your shop and I might feel more comfortable letting it run over night (as it is, I don't feel comfortable letting a pump run all night so I stay up and watch over it until it's done). Whatever model you select, have fun veneering and post some photos of your work.

Cheers,
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Post
    I'm trying to get opinions from owners of the Compact 100 veneer press from www.vacupress.com or the similar one sold by www.qualityvak.com. I'd like to do some veneering but it won't be a mainstay of my furniture making so I don't want to spend a fortune. For those who have one of these smaller units, are you happy with it or do you wish you'd have bought something pricier? Is the 1 cfm pump sufficient or do you find yourself wishing you had something faster?

Scott,

Welcome to Sawmill Creek...... I have the compact 100 and I like it very well. I haven't used mine as much as Roger - maybe 25 pressings - but it's done everything I've asked of it. The standard 4X4' bag is somewhat limiting, deprending on what you're planning to do with it. If size and space were not object, I'd have bought a flip-top system. I'm actually still considering it. Good luck with your veneering. Dave.

Thanks Roger and Dave. I'm going to order one tommorrow. Have either of you (or anyone else) seen either of the videos sold by Vacupress? They have "Working with Veneer" and "Working in a Vacuum". "Working with Veneer" looks like it might be a good starting point for understanding the basics. If you haven't seen the videos, do you have a particular book you found helpful when learning?

Scott,

I have the videos and like them, too. Haven't found any books that I've liked as well as the videos. Dave.

I like the videos as well. If you order both videos with your press then they'll give you a discount on the videos - you may have to ask for the discount when you place your order.

There is one book I recommend - The Veneering Book by David Shath Square, Taunton Press. In addition to covering the basis of veneering, it includes a few chapters on vacuum bag veneering and discussion on making your own vacuum bags (a big saving$). Another book you might want to consider - Veneering - A Foundation Course by Mike Burton, Sterling Publishing. The book demonstrates a number of different ways to "get the job done" and highlights a number of projects from start to finish (not my style of furniture, but still instructive).

Finally, once you're up and running with your press and have veneered a few panels, you might want to consider purchasing Paul Schurch's video and handbook on decorative veneering. I learned a great deal from this on bookmatching, edge banding and adding filleti, which really dress up a project and aren't that difficult if you follow the video.

Cheers,
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Post
    Thanks Roger and Dave. I'm going to order one tommorrow. Have either of you (or anyone else) seen either of the videos sold by Vacupress? They have "Working with Veneer" and "Working in a Vacuum". "Working with Veneer" looks like it might be a good starting point for understanding the basics. If you haven't seen the videos, do you have a particular book you found helpful when learning?

Sorry. Don't mean to butt in on your thread, Scott, but the 100 is the exact unit I've been researching. You also pose another good inquiry, that being what book/video to get.

So, Dave and Roger, it appears that the unit has your seal of approval on it and you've given good suggestions for learning sources. BUT, for a guy trying this right out of the chute, what other basics does one need? Obviously, one needs veneer, but is there something "special" a guy should get? I've seen backed veneers, as well as "raw". I know too, you should have some "cold press" glue on hand. In looking through the "accessories", there are a number of veneering-related tools. What would you guys suggest to start with? Anything special for laying out the glue? Do you need a veneer saw or will a good utility knife do the trick? I apologize for all the "3-rd degree", but when I order mine, I want to be sure I have all that is necessary to get the show on the road. My local Woodcraft store is 30+ miles away and they don't even carry a lot of the veneering tools/supplies, though they do have some veneer. Thanks for any additional info you guys can provide!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

It depends on what kind of projects you intend to tackle, but in general veneering doesn't require a lot of specialized hardware. If you decide to get into decorative veneering (radial match tables, marqeutry, etc) then a few extra items are required.

For any kind of venerring, a veneer saw is useful for producing cleanly cut edges (for book matching or slip matching veneer sheets together). A utility knife is useful for rough cutting veneer, but it doesn't produce a clean cut edge (especially if you are cross-cutting veneer). In addition, 3M blue tape is helpful to hold sheets of veneer together while you are assembling your project and gum tape is a must to glue up the project before going into the press. While I own a veneer tape dispenser, most of the time I use a simple kitchen sponge and bottle of water to moisten strips of the gum tape. A putty knife (with a sharpened edge) is handy for removing gum tape, once the project comes out of the press. For spreading glue, I simply use disposable black foam paint rollers from Home Depot. Clean up doesn't get any easier (discard the rollers) and it doesn't waste (absorb) too much glue. As for glue, I have had mixed results with cold press glue (it could have been my fault) and now use Uni-Bond 800. This requires heat to cure, so an old-fashioned heating blanket is a must for veneering in an unheated shop.

If you wish to get into more complex veneering projects, take a look at
    http://www.schurchwoodwork.com/tools/index.html, which describes tools available from Paul Schurch and how they are to be used.

Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Sorry. Don't mean to butt in on your thread, Scott, but the 100 is the exact unit I've been researching. You also pose another good inquiry, that being what book/video to get.

So, Dave and Roger, it appears that the unit has your seal of approval on it and you've given good suggestions for learning sources. BUT, for a guy trying this right out of the chute, what other basics does one need? Obviously, one needs veneer, but is there something "special" a guy should get? I've seen backed veneers, as well as "raw". I know too, you should have some "cold press" glue on hand. In looking through the "accessories", there are a number of veneering-related tools. What would you guys suggest to start with? Anything special for laying out the glue? Do you need a veneer saw or will a good utility knife do the trick? I apologize for all the "3-rd degree", but when I order mine, I want to be sure I have all that is necessary to get the show on the road. My local Woodcraft store is 30+ miles away and they don't even carry a lot of the veneering tools/supplies, though they do have some veneer. Thanks for any additional info you guys can provide!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Barga

If you wish to get into more complex veneering projects, take a look at
    http://www.schurchwoodwork.com/tools/index.html, which describes tools available from Paul Schurch and how they are to be used.

Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Roger
    Roger, you're the MAN! That site has much great info, even a real greenhorn, like me. I note that their price on the 100 is better than that of "Roc....r"! Think I'll give both, Vacupress and Schurch a call today and figure out best pricing advantage. I greatly appreciate your mini-course on the basics, as well. Don't be surprised if I do take you up on your offer for more info! Thanks MUCH!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

I just ordered a Compact 100 from vacupress a few minutes ago. They gave me both videos for the price of one since I was ordering the press at the same time. That's a heck of a deal. I almost bought mine from Rockler because they're nearby, but the $25 more they charge plus sales tax swayed me away from the instant gratification. Glad I did since it got me the good deal on the videos.

Hi John,

Roger has already provided a great deal of excellent advice. Here's what I do, with generally excellent results.

Veneer source.... I buy raw veneer and get it on Ebay. Two reliable sellers with excellent veneer are 'Lepkowski' and 'Thouge'. I've bought $$$$'s of veneer from them and never had a problem.

Veneer trimming.... Two methods. For cutting to rough size, I use a high quality pair of scissors. For trimming edges for joining, I sandwich many pieces of veneer between 2 straight boards (you can make a jig or just carefully clamp them) and run the assembly through the jointer. I have a veneer saw, but don't use it very often. Most of the time, my projects involve veneer over 3/4' MDF substrate which I apply 1/16' oversize and trim with a flush trim bit in the router. The resulting panel is then edge banded or used in a frame and panel assembly.

Veneer tape.... Is a PITA to work with. Seems to stick to everything but what you want it to, but works great. I scrape off the tape when I'm done with a scraper and then sand the remnants with the Festool. When I'm lazy, I use 3M white painters tape, which sticks just well enough (most of the time) to hold things together for a short time.

Veneer glue.... With only one exception, I've had great luck with Franklin cold press glue. Unibond is better, but it's much more difficult to work with. I also use foam rollers for application. With cold press glue, you can rinse and re-use the roller pads.

A couple of other things to think about.... the Compact 100 comes with a 4X4' bag, which can be somewhat limiting, depending on what you're going to use it for. The standard bag is vinyl, poly is much more durable.

Good luck with your decision. I, too, am willing to answer any questions you might have. Dave.

Thank you, Dave! Books? Video's? Who needs 'em? We've got YOU guys! (No, I *will* be getting video and/or books, as well!) By what you're indicating, it seems to me that maybe for the beginner, especially, the cold press glue may be the easier to start with. A difficult glue on top of a completely foreign process may not be such a good idea, though I'm sure I will want to try out both.

I'm interested in your opinion and knowledge of the bags. OK, so it's 4x4'; Does this mean I can comfortably put up to a 4x4' panel in and still leave enough room to seal everything up OK? Also, any idea if a guy can indeed use bigger bags with the little vac pump? Actually, I'm thinking that the total volume wouldn't change, as I might be interested in something which would take longer, but more narrow laminates.

One other quickie question: With the cold press glue, how long does one keep it in the bag under reasonably "normal" temps (65-68*f)?

Thanks again to both of you for such valuable information! You guys rock!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Thank you, Dave! Books? Video's? Who needs 'em? We've got YOU guys! (No, I *will* be getting video and/or books, as well!) By what you're indicating, it seems to me that maybe for the beginner, especially, the cold press glue may be the easier to start with. A difficult glue on top of a completely foreign process may not be such a good idea, though I'm sure I will want to try out both.

I'm interested in your opinion and knowledge of the bags. OK, so it's 4x4'; Does this mean I can comfortably put up to a 4x4' panel in and still leave enough room to seal everything up OK? Also, any idea if a guy can indeed use bigger bags with the little vac pump? Actually, I'm thinking that the total volume wouldn't change, as I might be interested in something which would take longer, but more narrow laminates.

One other quickie question: With the cold press glue, how long does one keep it in the bag under reasonably "normal" temps (65-68*f)?

Thanks again to both of you for such valuable information! You guys rock!
    John,

Yes, a 4X4' bag is actually bigger than that and will press a 4X4' panel. I'm thinking of getting a customer 2X6' bag for the reasons you mentioned above - I do more long, thin work. If Darryl at Vacupress will substitute a 2X6' for a 4X4' bag for you when you purchase, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Yes, you can use bigger bags with a smaller pump.

My basement is 62-64 degrees and 2 hours cycle time works for me.

Dave.