Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cedar and walnut segmented pitcher

Wow Mike, that's a beauty! Everything about it is nice.

Dang, Mike! You're really soaring high with this one!

Fill 'er up!

Blog Entries
    Very cool Mike, I have wondered how these two woods would look together, but not up to segmenting quite yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Tibbetts View Post
    Mike, that's a very nice piece - congratulations. The joinery looks very tight, but I'm curious about the top connection. I looks like you've added the walnut with the same vertical grain direction which is the way to go, but as you probably know, an end-grain to end-grain joint, all by itself, it not the most ideal joinery. I've added a top piece such as this with a hidden half-lap joint thereby creating a little side-grain to side grain connection, hidden within the wall (like a lidded box, but glued). With your angled joint, I'm guessing that that has not been done here (would be very difficult). I like the angled joint, but I have concern about long-term stability. It'll probably be fine; it's just my nature to worry about such things.

My thoughts exactly Malcolm, I have turned the little half lap on several pieces, and started to on this one and just make the walnut piece angled. The more I looked at it the more I thought it just wouldn't look right. So I thought it would be a good opportunity to give it a try like this and see how much it would move over the next little bit and it would be beneficial for my own knowledge. I have found that wood will expand and contract the most in the first year, so if it makes it through that ,I believe it will be fine.

The other question asked; about the soft cedar and harder walnut together. The only thing I found about this mixture is in sanding. The cedar tends to want to sand away faster than the walnut as you might expect. Light sanding is necessary to keep from getting dips.
    Last edited by mike fuson; 07-15-2007 at 1:54 PM. Reason: Kentucky grammer
    865 miles southeast of Steve Schlumpf.

How'd you do it?

Mike,

As a new turner, I'm very impressed and puzzled. What were the steps you used for: glue up, turning, final assembly, finish, etc., etc.?

Eventually, I'll get some pictures up of the few bowls I've turned to-date. But for now, I'm still trying to learn as much as possible so any hints would be greatly appreciated.

How'd you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leslie View Post
    Mike,

As a new turner, I'm very impressed and puzzled. What were the steps you used for: glue up, turning, final assembly, finish, etc., etc.?

Eventually, I'll get some pictures up of the few bowls I've turned to-date. But for now, I'm still trying to learn as much as possible so any hints would be greatly appreciated.

How'd you do it?

Rob, this is actually on of the harder ones that I have done. Lineing up the segments for glueing is critical and hard to do on one of these. I didn't take a picture of this blank before turning, but this one is done in the same manner

this is what the blank looked like before turning

So just imagine the maple in this one being the cedar in the other ,just smaller pieces. The rings at the top were added later. Hope this helps
    865 miles southeast of Steve Schlumpf.

Mike, you just keep raising the bar ! Sheeeze............Great piece !!
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE