Thread: Shop Update: 1.5 walls sheathed

Shop Update: 1.5 walls sheathed

Here's the view from the door. funky red on that one panel, and of course it will be in the 'prime' corner. Going to have to slap some paint on it sooner than later.

My friend Grizz and I strengthened the four corners, doubling the studs where needed. Also, sistered another stud on the long wall where the top sill had its weak joint. Essentially making it two 'halves' like the opposite wall was built.

No pics yet of this 'system' I worked out, but we found that tacking the 2' piece on top of the 8' panel was a bit hairy. The ladder I have for external work was priced right (inherited when I moved in here ages ago) but it is a spindly aluminum unit and not the most fun to stand on. Raising and nailing the 2' panel was quite an adventure. I came up with a better mouse trap. I'll be sure and take a photo of it tomorrow, but essentially picture screwing a 2x4 to the outside of the piece, and using that to put it up in place. put the ladder up on the board after aligning it, climb up, nail tit off without ever having to lift it plus the nail gun on the ladder.

there's the 2x4 leaning against the end wall. That's just about when the rains started tonight.

Grizz and I had brought my table saw out of storage, intending to put it in the shed if the rains came and/or we ran out of daylight. OOPs, the motor wouldn't clear the doorway. (mutter mutter mutter)

Rain was picking up, so we improvised some cover for it until I could run to Lowes and pick up another tarp.

sharp eyes may note that I left the end walls just shy of the top sill, that was intentional, so that I can tie the gable ends into the side walls with the sheathing. Every little bit helps, right? The long walls will be sheathed right up to the top as there wont' be any exposure above the top sill.

there's the view from the far end, outside.
    Ned

2B1ASK1

Looking good Ned. You are going to have a great shop.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I'm jealous.....looking good
    Grant
    GO Buckeyes!

Every day of progress brings you one step closer to finally having that much needed space. Keep up the good work Ned!
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    sharp eyes may note that I left the end walls just shy of the top sill, that was intentional, so that I can tie the gable ends into the side walls with the sheathing.
    Ned,
    It is looking good. However, for what it's worth, if you want to benefit from tieing the gable ends to the end walls, I would recommend removing the upper 2' piece of OSB on the end walls, so that when you sheath the gable ends a single piece will run from the gable down over the top 2' of the wall. I don't think the amount you left is going to provide you much strengthening, because it will primarly only allow you to nail the "spanning" piece into the top plate. It would be much better if the one piece were signifcantly nailed into the gable and the wall studs.

Anyway, looks really good, and just offering my two cents, which are probably worth about that much.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Thanks all for looking, and Steve, that sounds like a plan to me, despite my better mousetrap idea with the top piece, I have no qualms about modifying to get better structure. for now I'll leave them up there, but next weekend I'll tear them off and replace with a piece cut to fit to the gable end. Right church, wrong pew.

we've had rain most of today, and though the sun is shining right now, I think I'm going to hold off until after work tomorrow to continue.
    Ned

2B1ASK1

if you havent sheeted the other walls yet.

this is kinda piggybacking on Stevens idea, but not really..

on the long walls you could pull down 96 1/2" (assuming 4'x 8' ply) on each corner and chalk a line. cut your rippers to the line from the bottom, tack em in, and stand the full sheets on top of em.. it could save you some sketchiness up on that ladder of yours.

its my experience that it's easier to do it that way than play around with toting stuff up a ladder.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by dan moran View Post
    this is kinda piggybacking on Stevens idea, but not really..

on the long walls you could pull down 96 1/2" (assuming 4'x 8' ply) on each corner and chalk a line. cut your rippers to the line from the bottom, tack em in, and stand the full sheets on top of em.. it could save you some sketchiness up on that ladder of yours.

its my experience that it's easier to do it that way than play around with toting stuff up a ladder.

good luck

Dan,
    sure sounds easier to me as well, One question though. I had thought to alternate the rippers top/bottom thinking that way I would tie the structure together. Will the rippers all across the bottom be any weaker than alternating it? To answer my own question in part, I don't see much advantage to alternating, other than tying top to bottom on those studs which have seams falling on them. Since there is a joint on each run no matter what, it shouldn't really matter. That makes my job tomorrow and tuesday after work a Lot easier.
    Ned

2B1ASK1

Looking great but dang it your still one step ahead of me. Got the last wall set today in the rain and then called it quits for the weekend.
    Keep up the great work and posting the progress.
    Mike

Glad you're enjoying it, I feel like such a slacker. I could have gotten those other two walls up today, but after the rain I just didn't feel motivated. Tonight the LOML and I took the kids to see the latest Harry Potter movie. oh well, tomorrow is another day.
    Ned

2B1ASK1

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    Dan,
    sure sounds easier to me as well, One question though. I had thought to alternate the rippers top/bottom thinking that way I would tie the structure together. Will the rippers all across the bottom be any weaker than alternating it? To answer my own question in part, I don't see much advantage to alternating, other than tying top to bottom on those studs which have seams falling on them. Since there is a joint on each run no matter what, it shouldn't really matter. That makes my job tomorrow and tuesday after work a Lot easier.
    Ned,
    You want to run your full sheets at the bottom and the 2'? rips up top.Sheer panel is to keep the building from racking and to tie the top of wall to the bottom plate or foundation.the way you did your end wall is correct.make sure you nail into your foundation board and the bottom plate to.Keep up the good work.
    Scot