Thread: Shellac over aromatic cedar

Shellac over aromatic cedar

I make a number of cedar chests - 100% aromatic cedar. I currently have orders for four of them. In the past I have always used an oil based finish. The problem with oil based is two-fold. It takes several coats to completely seal the cedar (it's like a sponge around knots with the grain changes) and the more coats the longer the cure time. The other is with the oils in the cedar - in the wrong place the oils can turn the finish into a sticky goop. Believe me, I've had it happen.

I'm thinking of using shellac as a seal coat and build-up to put a slick finish on the cedar before top coating with a wiping varnish. Does anyone know of any issues with compatibility with the shellac and oils in the cedar? My guess is not but thought I'd check here and see what anyone has to say.

Ironic : I recently made a fairly lengthy post to a guy here who was finishing aromatic cedar and gave him my finishing schedule. It works, but I'm looking for something easier, and more importantly, faster. Thanks.

Richard

FWIW I've use shellac friction polish on turkey calls to seal cedar, then used spar polyurethane over that without any problem. And it DOES cut down on my finishing time since I put on 3-5 coats of spar normally.

Richard, Ive used shellac to seal pine knots so it should work well with cedar. Pine knots (SYP) can ooze sap forever unless they are sealed and nothing other than shellac (maybe epoxy) seems to work.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Hello,
    For more years than I care to remember, shellac has been the defacto industry standard for sealing woods such as cedar.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon