Thread: MinWax polycrylic

MinWax polycrylic

I'm finishing up a little project.
    I'm applying the water clean up polycrylic. It's kind of a a nice finish. Doesn't seem to have the sensitivity of other water base finishes I've used.

However brushing it is a pain as it drys so fast. Any one ever thinned this stuff ? What'dja use - Alcohol water what?
    Can it be applied with a wipe? what'dja use: lamb's woool, de-linted cotton rag, felt what?

I have used de-linted cotton rags on oil based urethanes with fine results but this stuff dries so fast I'm pretty sure I'd make a mess trying to wipe it on.

Blog Entries
    Cliff, if you are talking about the Minwax Polycrylic.....I have used that in the past for an entire bedroom suit of furniture. The stuff is ok, I liked it and yes, it does dry rather quickly. One thing that I would like to pass along to you is to be careful applying it in real humid weather. I seem to remember having some milky drying results when the humidity level was up there in the uncomfortable levels.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Cliff, you can only thin it very slightly with water. Water borne finishes are not like oil based, shellac or lacquers as they are a suspension. If you thin too much, you'll change the properties of the finish with bad results. If you're finishing large areas, you're better off spraying these products.

The Minwax product is "ok" and especially accessable given the product is carried "everywhere". There definitely are better products available, however, if you want to seriously move to water borne finishes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There definitely are better products available, however, if you want to seriously move to water borne finishes.
    Such as - - - - - - -

And what makes one water based finish "better" than another? Is it ease of application? Toughness, Chem' resistance, and durability of final product?
    It's gotta be more than appearance.

One of the reasons I have been an oil urethane fan all these years was the combination of the above features, all in one product.

Living (and working ) in really old buildings all my life I never had the ability to achieve a "dust free" room for finishing so I had to explore alternatives to spraying. I'd apply oil urethane with a brush with light abrasive 'tween coats till I was where I wanted to be. Then the last couple coats would be wipe-on under a suspended poly tarp to eliminate as much contaminate as possible.

It's always been a struggle.

If you like the look of an oil based finish, you might want to check out Target Coating's new hybrid water borne alkyd varnish product. I going to be using it on my cherry vanities. But once again, while you "can" brush it or wipe it, spraying is best for larger projects where there are big surfaces to cover. I don't have a dust-free finishing room, either...but dust is less of an issue with spraying water borne since it's try to the touch in 15 minutes or so tops, unlike any kind of oil varnish.

You will not like the look of the Minwax product on bare wood based on your stated ideals...and the same goes for most water borne products. But a coat of de-waxed shellac over BLO or even without the oil will give your color when used with most water bornes. (Or you can tint the product to get the amber look if you prefer)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Target Coating's new hybrid water borne alkyd varnish product.
    thank s I'll check it out

you "can" brush it or wipe it, spraying is best for larger projects where there are big surfaces to cover. I don't have a dust-free finishing room, either...but dust is less of an issue with spraying water borne since it's try to the touch in 15 minutes or so tops, unlike any kind of oil varnish.
    15 minutes is good. Especially for a wipeable finish.

You will not like the look of the Minwax product on bare wood based on your stated ideals...and the same goes for most water borne products.
    I used the Minwax product once on a couple of maple tongue drums. It looked rather nice under a wipe of BLO.

I have no clue how tough or chem resistant the stuff is.

But a coat of de-waxed shellac over BLO or even without the oil will give your color when used with most water bornes.
    I have never been a fan of shellac. I used it a few times in the past on some musical instruments and just didn't warm to it. [/quote]

(Or you can tint the product to get the amber look if you prefer)
    Ha Ha I found out how to get amber out of the Minwax product. Punch those holes in the inner rim to drain the brush wipings - - they rust and the rust contaminates the finish.

Doh ~!! It's a water based finish & I wasn't thinking about it to clearly.

Its good stuff. Yes it dries fast. Thats one of the reasons I use it.
    I spray it though, very seldom brush it.
    Thins with water.