Thread: Fir 2x4 Jar lids

Fir 2x4 Jar lids

I was intrigued by Dennis Kranz's tealight thread particularly about using old 2x4 scrap. Looked real nice for trash wood. I had done some other tealights last year out of maple--much easier (pic attached). I am used to turning hardwood and was a little taken aback at how easily fir crumbles when turning the partial end grain. I got over it and stuck to using just a skew and scraper.
    Since I had a few pieces left over, I decided to try some lids using the same 2x4 scrap. Came out okay and were quick an easy to do. I will probably try some oak wood next time though.
    The bottles are used Bush's Chili bottles. Mason and Ball should have similar ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neat idea on the jar lids!
    Mike

Really like the lid. What a great idea.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jerry the best part is that one 2 x 4 will keep you busy for a week. I found another chunk of 2 x 4 and am going to try again tomorrow. Those jar lids are something I never would have thought of, great job.
    Dennis

Thanks folks.
    I do appreciate the fact that 2x4s are convenient and inexpensive. I usually use them for tests and either cut in half or laminate but I had never tryed turning fir across the end grain. Takes a little extra care.
    The lids on the Bush's Chili are ~2 15/16" in dia. I don't know what a Ball or Mason jar are but will check next time I'm in town--unless someone else has one around--please measure it. The Bush's lid fits in a 2x4 blank just fine.

Nice work Jerry !! Thats one of the great things about turning, you can find a use for all wood !
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Went by the store (Albertson's) today.
    Looks like Kerr and Ball lids are 2 3/4 and 3 3/8 for wide mouth, so 2x4s should still be okay. Different style glass affects the price. So a pint is about 70 cents and a quart about 90. Fancy short square ones were a buck. Better to get 15 oz. Bush's chili when it's on sale for $1.50 and you get a bowl of chili for 50 cents in the bargain. I'm sure there are better deals on Kerr and Ball Mason jars elsewhere, particularly if used.