Thread: Script font letter in wood...

Script font letter in wood...

The kids want a first initial in each side of the arbor I'm building. So plans are to cut out a script font letter with a bandsaw. The first one is an "S" with lots of loops. The letter(s) will stand alone with an attachment point to each leg of the arbor (2 attachments per letter). Thickness will probably be 3/4" from cedar. The width of material left in each letter will vary from 1/2 to 1 & 1/2". Unless I saw out each "loop" separately I will be at the mercy of the letter as far as location of cross grain. It appears to me that this puppy will be very weak. They won't support anything until plants start growing, but I do have to get the arbor to the wedding intact. Even sawing each loop separately and attaching the pieces with glue and/or tenons there will be cross grain. Of course, there will be end grain all over the letters which will get wet in the garden.

My thought is just to cut it out, soak it with paint, and handle it carefully, then let it fall apart as time goes on. The rest of the arbor is built to avoid all exposed end grain, let water run off, and even has drip lips and such.

The kids really don't want solid panels with the letters cut into them. And they don't care if the letters last past the wedding. But LOML will get the arbor and might like the letters to last. Will these things have any chance of lasting? I can bevel the edges of the letters but without templates it would likely be a chore.

David

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

How large ?

David,

What size letters are you talking about? Consider using Corian - virtually indestructable. You should be able to find a counter top operation that has scrap pieces large enough for the letters
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

David, have you thought about chip carving the letters into the arbor posts? They would last forever (or at least as long as the posts!)

What is the total width/height of the letters? You might think about something like TREX, it comes in widths up to 8". You could use it 8" high or 8" wide. Instead of pieces, wood or TREX, you might consider a scroll saw and a solid piece of material so that the letter stays in all one piece with out having to glue pieces together.. It might be stronger that way.

George

I forgot, you might think about MDO and scroll saw. MDO is used for outdoor signs on the highways so it is weatherproof if painted and the letter will be all one piece.

G
    Last edited by George Summers; 01-18-2004 at 7:47 PM.

David,

You might consider using epoxy to adhere the letters or pieces of the letters to "cloth" type window screening. When dry, just cut away the excess screen so that it is only on the back of the letters. You could also use fiberglass cloth and resin. This would reinforce any weak grain.

Just a thought,
    Bob

Ken, I knew I left out something. The letters are to be around 2' in height and width. In the back of my mind I wondered about an alternate material.

Todd, you are thinking of "carving a heart in the tree?" Neat idea. Just not what they were after.

David

Yeah, a scroll saw would be handy for this, but like I said last time I could have used one I'm not really into the stuff that you use them to do. And I really don't have a place for something about which I don't have a strong "want". I've spent a big ton on tools and fixtures and materials to this point having "what I need". Ha! I don't have to cut the sections off totally. I can just make an entry cut, then stick it back or even tenon things.

I have never seen MDO. I knew that MDF was a sponge for moisture and figure MDO might be the same. Road signs huh? That would avoid the grain situation.

David

Quote Originally Posted by George Summers
    What is the total width/height of the letters? You might think about something like TREX, it comes in widths up to 8". You could use it 8" high or 8" wide. Instead of pieces, wood or TREX, you might consider a scroll saw and a solid piece of material so that the letter stays in all one piece with out having to glue pieces together.. It might be stronger that way.

George

I forgot, you might think about MDO and scroll saw. MDO is used for outdoor signs on the highways so it is weatherproof if painted and the letter will be all one piece.

G