Thread: A couple questions: Lathe spindle wobble & Electricity

A couple questions: Lathe spindle wobble & Electricity

First question: I installed the Nova G3 last for the first time night and turned on my Jet Mini VS1014. I noticed a slight wobble in the spindle. Should I be concerned about it? If so, what is your experience with WMH Tool Group's customer service and their desire to replace parts? I have only owned the lathe about 9 months.

Second question: I have the lathe plugged into the standard GFCI outlet in the garage (20A I believe). I also have a radio, and fan plugged in and running at the same time. When I have a catch while turning, I trip the circuit almost every time. I realize the immediate answer to this question is to stop the catches but... Should I increase the amperage? This is very frustrating!
    "Intoxicated with unbroken successes, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us." --Abraham Lincoln

You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.—Winston Churchill

When you say you are tripping the circuit are you tripping the breaker or the GFCI? If its the GFCI is the circuit on a single breaker or an "Edison" circuit where a 220 line is split into 2 different 110 legs?

I have my Jet mini on a 20A GFCI circuit and have never tripped the 20A breaker or the GFCI. I have tripped the breaker on the lathe itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heely View Post
    When you say you are tripping the circuit are you tripping the breaker or the GFCI? If its the GFCI is the circuit on a single breaker or an "Edison" circuit where a 220 line is split into 2 different 110 legs?

I have my Jet mini on a 20A GFCI circuit and have never tripped the 20A breaker or the GFCI. I have tripped the breaker on the lathe itself.
    I am going to show my electrical prowess but I have no idea. I thought the GFCI and the breaker are one and the same, they are not? It is a single 20A breaker which is GFCI protected. Boy, I feel stupid when it comes to electricity...
    "Intoxicated with unbroken successes, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us." --Abraham Lincoln

You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.—Winston Churchill

The breaker and GFCI could be one in the same or one of the outlets could provide the GFCI protection.

Does the outlet have a little red and black button on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heely View Post
    The breaker and GFCI could be one in the same or one of the outlets could provide the GFCI protection.

Does the outlet have a little red and black button on it?
    No, it it says it on the breaker itself. The plug is a regular plug and all of the outlets in the garage are on this circuit.

I'm sorry I didn't think about the plug having the GFCI on it... I think I see where you were going.

If you turn on your lathe without the chuck on it, can you see the spindle wobble? If not, put a faceplate on and see if it wobbles. If it doesn't wobble, it isn't the spindle.

With your chuck, make sure its seated fully on the spindle and the jaws are completely closed. Turn the lathe on, with the speed low, does it wobble. If not increase speed to a higher setting (2000 or so). Is it wobbling now?

If it is wobbling, what is wobbling? The body of the chuck? The jaws?

I'm not familiar with G3 chucks, but I'd be inclined to think there may be a problem with a chuck before the lathe. Diagnose as above to determine which and go from there.

Good luck and let us know.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Brickey View Post
    If you turn on your lathe without the chuck on it, can you see the spindle wobble? If not, put a faceplate on and see if it wobbles. If it doesn't wobble, it isn't the spindle.

With your chuck, make sure its seated fully on the spindle and the jaws are completely closed. Turn the lathe on, with the speed low, does it wobble. If not increase speed to a higher setting (2000 or so). Is it wobbling now?

If it is wobbling, what is wobbling? The body of the chuck? The jaws?

I'm not familiar with G3 chucks, but I'd be inclined to think there may be a problem with a chuck before the lathe. Diagnose as above to determine which and go from there.

Good luck and let us know.
    I will give this a try and let you know. I don't think the jaws were completely closed when I turned it on. I will try as you suggest.

Maybe with the radio and fan and the lathe the circuit is really at the limit? Does not sound like it should be though. You might want to get someone locally to look at it.

I'd start by unplugging the fan and radio and seeing what happens. Anything else on the same circuit--like lights? You shouldn't just put in a bigger breaker as the wire and breaker are sized together. I'm not familiar with the GFCI breakers since our house isn't new enough to have them--we have the GFCI outlets, but can you tell whether they trip due to overloading or a ground fault?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I'd start by unplugging the fan and radio and seeing what happens. Anything else on the same circuit--like lights? You shouldn't just put in a bigger breaker as the wire and breaker are sized together. I'm not familiar with the GFCI breakers since our house isn't new enough to have them--we have the GFCI outlets, but can you tell whether they trip due to overloading or a ground fault?
    I was thinking it was just overloaded. How can I tell if it is a ground fault? I may just put the lathe on it's own circuit. That will solve the problem for sure, right?

In my shop I have separate GFCIs at the start of each circuit. If the breaker were to trip I would know the circuit is overloaded. If the GFCI pops then I have an electrical problem. I'm not familiar with the combo breaker/GFCI to know if there is a way to tell what caused it to trip.

I do not know about the electric side of the question, but the service from Jet is great. I have one of the new 1220 lathes and had a problem with the headstock bearings heating up. I talked to a service tech (Bobby) there and he sent me a new full set of bearings 2nd day Fed-Ex, at no cost. Have called back with other questions and he was quick to help out.