Thread: Box Gouge

Box Gouge

I'm studying Richard Raffan's "Turning Boxes." He zips thru this video way too fast for me. I get most of it except for his shallow gouge. Looks like a spindle gouge but has a bowl gouge bevel.

Is that about right or is the gouge something else?

In a previous thread about back-hollowing, I realized that i was trying it with dry wood. When I realized that he did this with green wood I decided to try it again as soon as I can cut some new blanks.

Thanks,
    Burt

Burt CSUSA has that gouge he uses in the Kryo. It is in the front part of the catalog.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

For hollowing boxes, ball end mill is very effective. You can make one for well under $10.

You may want to reconsider making boxes with green wood. You may have some difficulty controlling the shrinkage and wrapping, fitting the lids ultimately.

Gordon

Gordon,
    What is a ball end mill?

Raffan takes green square stock, makes a cylinder and hollows out the lid and base. Then he packs it up and lets it sit until dry. Then he finishes. Sounds like a good idea, especially since I have a lot of green wood, some with spectacular grain (honey locust).

Burt

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Alcantara View Post
    Gordon,
    What is a ball end mill?

Burt
    Burt,

Ball end mill is metal machining tool, they are commonly available at ENCO and other supply houses. I use the 3/8" diameter single end 2 flute ball end mill. They are around $5.

I just use a 5/8" regular bolt from Home Depot. Cut off the hex end, and drill a 3/8" hole at the end to fit the single ball end mill. It can be drilled easily on the lathe with regular HSS drill bit. I use it for hogging out, I didn't bother to drill a hole for grub screw. I just glue it in.

I then made a wooden tool handle to glue in the threaded portion of the bolt.
    One suggestion on the tool handle. Since the shaft is going to be extended deep into the box, make the tool handle very long in order to take advantage of the leverage.

Gordon

I haven't made boxes but I use a Oneway termite tool for hollowing end grain I enjoy using mine very much.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Burt.....I've made 6 or more boxes from dry wood and use my 3/8" spindle gouge. I clean up the bottms with a 3/4" round nose scraper. Raffans techniques work well for me even on dry wood. My favorite wood for those is Honduran mahogany.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Save the ring or hook tool for finish cut.
    There is more than one way to do most things.
    Just choose what you are comfortable with.

If you watch the Dave Hout turning show on DIY, he used the ball end mill for hollowing the box also. If you push it in dead center, it drills the center hole.

Gordon