Thread: Where To Now

Where To Now

So I have introduced myself and showed a picture of a couple of my Granddad's tools, I have sharpened a couple of blades using the scary sharp method, and cleaned up or starting to clean up some of the planes. I figure that the 9 1/2 (I think) with an adjustable throat would be a good place to start. There is quite a bit of info on cleaning and restoring planes but where do I learn how to adjust and use one?

I think I am going to regret this addiction....

Dan

A Starting Place

Dan,
    I'll start you off with an easy one...
    Michael Dunbar's "Restoring, Tuning, And Using Classic Woodworking Tools"
    roy
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

Two books, and then find your way to Carnegie Hall

Affordable: "Planecraft," from Woodcraft, a reprint of an English book on Record planes, but applicable to any of the conventional metal plane makers (Stanley, et al). About $10, last I looked (interestingly, it's often more expensive used on the online booksale websites). You have to learn to navigate the English syntax and word usage, but it's worth it.

Pricier, but your local library may have it: "The Hand Plane Book," Garrett Hack. A different approach, and a useful complement to "Planecraft."

Then you follow the punchline from the old joke about how to get to Carnegie Hall: practice, man, practice. Get yourself some scrap boards - pine is nice - and just play around.

Also: planes are such interesting things that newcomers tend to think they're how wood is worked. Get your chisels sharp, too, and learn to use those. There are lots of times that a well-handled chisel can do the job faster and better than a plane. And then there's drawknives, hatchet, spokeshaves...

Totally Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    "Planecraft," from Woodcraft, a reprint of an English book on Record planes, ...."The Hand Plane Book," Garrett Hack. A different approach, and a useful complement to "Planecraft."
    Yeah, those two books are definately a treasure trove of information. The book by Michael Dunbar that Roy suggested is a very good one as well.

When I asked a similar question about rabbit planes, Bill sugegsted that I pickup a copy of "Planecraft". I just got my copy in the mail last week. After paging through it, I can see how this is going to become one of my "go to books". I can't wait to finish my current book so I can start on that one.

I also have tried to practice as much as I can. I have no idea how I had the energy (after a 10 hour day at work and working out afterwards) but after dinner I went into the shop (innocently enough, just to put something away) and ended up flattening and edging a bunch of scrap pieces just to refine my technique.
    Dominic Greco

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Nothing like a classroom to stimulate the learning juices.
    Woodcraft and Rockler offer classes at there stores or can direct you to one.
    Community Ed, junior colleges, and private schools offer short intro classes to get you started.
    Maybe there is a mentor in your area. SMC has a mentors list.

Worth the investment rather than flailing about bye yourself.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Thanks folks, I see about getting the books recommended.

Bill, I have a set of Craftsman chisels (4) and I am working to learn to use them as well, actually I started with those before the planes. Right now I am really concentrating on sharpening. I have the Veritas Mk II guide and I am using the Scary Sharp method. So far I have been impressed with the results, the first plane iron I sharpened was the Stanley 101 and didn't use the Veritas because it is so small. I could still shave hair off my arm with it. Last night I sharpened a 9 1/2 blade which is really to short but didn't want to try my technique on a new blade I found in my Granddad's toolbox.

Dominic, yes I have a scrap of cedar in the bench vice and am whittling away on it too! Which brings up another need, I am going to have to get me a wood working bench with dogs and vice to hold stock. I need to retire so I can devote more time and attention to this stuff!!

Dan