Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second set of photos

Second set of photos

More photos
    Attached Images Attached Images

Same comments as my previous. The last one in this set might be nice for a more "rustic" cabinet design, but again, having things fall in the right place on the carcass could be a challenge.

Number one and number two don't work at all for cabinetry, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

another million of #4 please

Jim,

#3 and 4 are possibles. My opinion of #1 is a BIG YUCK! It looks like alien heads, and #2 just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Jim,

I have a contrary opinion. In the metropolis, there would be a market for high end things made out of that stuff. Things like that just can't be found.

Your only challenge would be connecting to that market... but once you did, you'd do very well on both coasts... especially if you can argue that it's renewable.

my personal favorite is #1. It's true that stuff won't fly in Slippery Rock... but it would soar in Chevy Chase...

Thanks,

Bill

Is this where you sign up for the Rorschak tests?

Seriously - #4 from this bunch looks pretty good. Numbers 3,4, &5 on the other thread were nice, though #3 was a bit busy there as well. To me, the wild figure would be a bit overpowering on the larger scale of a sheet of plywood or cabinets, but that's just my opinion, which aint worth squat.
    Use the fence Luke

I hope you are looking for honest answers. I would find very little use for any of those samples. The wood pattern is too "loud" for my tastes. I might use a small piece as a kind of accent in a big piece of furniture made from another wood.

I agree 100% with Bill Lantry - big appeal to the high end market with more refined tastes, especially for the uniqueness factor.

Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on some for furniture applications. Love the first 3 in particular.

Number Three is wild. Number Four is okay also, but it seems not that different from what we can find here in a rotary cut.

Now... Make #1 stop looking at me!
    pink_flame1.jpg
    (brr, couldn't have that in the house)
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Number Three is wild. Number Four is okay also, but it seems not that different from what we can find here in a rotary cut.

Now... Make #1 stop looking at me!
    pink_flame1.jpg
    (brr, couldn't have that in the house)
    Is there a new breed of dog called a Bearded Boxer? That is some wild grain. Interesting if trying to make a statement, but too busy to be comfortable with. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Numbers 1, 2, 3 would be too much for a full kitchen. Number 4 would look good. 1, 2, 3 would look fine to use for a door or two, but not the whole cabinet job. Just my opinion.

I would love to have a sheet of both number 1's to use for a couple of small jobs.

My brother would take #1 and make a couple of doors for an ent. center. Of course, his pieces are very "arty" and whimisical. But, hey, it ain't called "art furniture" for nothing!
    David DeCristoforo

I'm sure that there is a small market for the "busier" ones (1,2,3 of set one and 1,2 of set two) but I would be surprised if it would turn out to be self-sustaining. The last 2 of each set have more consistency that I think would have a wider appeal.
    My general thought is that if it is practical manufacture-wise, that you could offer these as custom order pieces to the high-end makers that would have the clientele to afford them. That would seem to me to be the least risky propostion overall.

On the high end market thing:

Right next to our local woodcraft, there's a store called brazilian hardwoods. I'd always been curious about it, but it's not open on the weekends. A few weeks back, I happened to be there on a workday (don't ask

Anyway, they were open, and I went in and found some amazing stuff:

06-26-07_1211 (Medium).jpg

06-26-07_1212 (Medium).jpg

06-26-07_1213 (Medium).jpg

06-26-07_1216 (Medium).jpg

06-26-07_1218 (Medium).jpg

That bed is going for 40,000 dollars. Would it sell in the heartland? Maybe not. But it will sell here... The other stuff is similarly priced. They've been in business for a while...

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, where is "here?"
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php