Thread: More advice, please...trash can cyclone

More advice, please...trash can cyclone

I'm toying with the idea of buying a trash can cyclone lid to use with my JDS dust control unit (when it arrives). From what I gather (no pun intended) these lids allow you to use a standard 30 gal metal trash can to collect most of the chips and dust, so you don't have to empty the DC's collection bag very often. If it works that'd be great...if not, it might be a waste of $$s.

Anybody on the Creek got some real world experience with such things?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Phil

Short answer is: I have had one for a couple of years now. It works great and I would highly recommend it. It works as advertised.

They work fine...but only with a 4" hose. Any larger will produce too much airflow and will not allow material to settle in the can. That's the compromise...if you use a 5" or 6" hose for superior collection, you can't utilize the trash can pre-separation.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I got the one from Highland Hardware. Paid a little more for it (came with can and lid) but it is tight and works great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The real advantage to these is that they separate errant items of metal (nails, screws, etc.), small pieces of scrap wood and the like. This prevents these items from passing through the DC impeller, avoiding the possibility of impeller damage, sparks, etc. Mine is the JET version, and works great, even on a low-profile 15 gal. plastic "muck bucket".

I agree. These are extremely useful. My experience is I dump the can about 5 times before I have to dump the collector bag, probably even more so if I didn't allow the can to get over 2/3 full.

If your cyclone lid does not have a gasket of some kind, you can stick a piece of foam weatherstrip around the underside of the rim. Make certain it is secured well - maybe even a bit of glue in addition to the peel & stick that comes with the strip; you don't want it to get sucked into your impeller. With this tighter seal, you can see and feel the vacuum pulling the lid down onto the can.

I use the Lee Valley lid with a Delta 50-850 and 1 micron bags. Does a very good job.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Blog Entries
    Another vote for it. Mine is the type Woodcraft sells with the elbow inside the can. Rockler's allows more blow-by than I cared for. the Jet lids (and someone else sells this style . . . oh Lee Valley, seem to put the least hit on your CFM while doing the job. I empty the can six to ten times before I have to empty the DC bag. Sweet bliss.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Rumor has it if you use a cheap plastic garbage can, it will implode. Never tried it myself. Just thought I'd mention it.

I made one from a five gallon paint can and 2" PVC pipe and fittings.
    It works great. DC bag rarely gets andy dust and it's usually because I did not empty the pail whick starts passing material when the level gets close to the suction port. It would be analgous to the small model versionn you are looking at. I have two elbows just inside the pail lid pointing in opposite directions and about 4" down from the top. If I were to do a 4" version, I'd probably use a steel trash can because it was a pain to glue to the poly lid.

Photo here of it sitting on my dust collector:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57813

I have the one from Rockler and agree with Glen about the leaking around the hoses. I used some silicone caulk around the hoses to stop the leaking. I also used some liquid rubber gasket around the inside instead of the weather stripping foam. I also use a bungee cord across the top from handle to handle to keep the lid on tight.
    God is great and life is good!